Historian Kate Masur wants to know why 6,000 Confederates are buried in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
She should study how Blacks were treated in Chicago during their earlier migrations. Don’t think Wade Hampton had anything to do with that. Yes, we need more History. Not just what we want remembered.
You might want to refer to her book on Emancipation from the Revolution to Reconstruction for what she might know about how Blacks were treated in Chicago.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
What are their names?
A few from memory: Berry Black, Harden Blackwell, Alex Bogan, Henry Marshall.

Some may be buried there, but their names are unknown:

tdic155.jpg

-To Die in Chicago: Confederate Prisoners at Camp Douglas, p.155

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
Can anyone point out the "white supremacy" in these inscriptions?-

View attachment 393031
View attachment 393030
My good friend who studies the USCT soldiers from Middle Tennessee has an answer to your question. "Every single word & name on that monument & the graves honors the memory of men who died for the cause of white supremacy." Thought that was a perspective worth passing along.

lurid

First Sergeant
Can anyone point out the "white supremacy" in these inscriptions?-

View attachment 393031
View attachment 393030

As usual, you are viewing things from how you see things, and that's why you don't understand it. In her eyes, the Confederates fought to sustain slavery and white supremacy, therefore, the Confederate soldiers represents white supremacy. It doesn't matter if you see or anyone else sees white supremacy in anything, she and the rest of the woke society see it as white supremacy. I personally don't see any white supremacy on those monuments, but I'm anti-woke so my opinion is not worth much to her.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
As usual, you are viewing things from how you see things, and that's why you don't understand it. In her eyes, the Confederates fought to sustain slavery and white supremacy, therefore, the Confederate soldiers represents white supremacy. It doesn't matter if you see or anyone else sees white supremacy in anything, she and the rest of the woke society see it as white supremacy. I personally don't see any white supremacy on those monuments, but I'm anti-woke so my opinion is not worth much to her.
19th Georgia asked an open ended question & got the answer a very well informed person felt was appropriate. Apparently, you have a very cloudy crystal ball that does not let you read my mind with any clarity, it wasn't me who answered the question.

lurid

First Sergeant
Obviously, you haven't. I read excerpts from it in a paper that I proofread for a college student. It isn't really my thing, but it made for interesting reading, so haven't read the book itself. I wasn't the one who made an unfounded criticism.

The bottom line is this: African-American apologists and Confederate apologists need to go away, and they need not to go away mad, but just go away.

lurid

First Sergeant
19th Georgia asked an open ended question & got the answer a very well informed person felt was appropriate. Apparently, you have a very cloudy crystal ball that does not let you read my mind with any clarity, it wasn't me who answered the question.

Thanks. I always count on you pseudo-intellectuals with your self-proclaimed sober mind and your feigned judicious mind to clear things up for me.

uaskme

2nd Lieutenant
My good friend who studies the USCT soldiers from Middle Tennessee has an answer to your question. "Every single word & name on that monument & the graves honors the memory of men who died for the cause of white supremacy." Thought that was a perspective worth passing along.
Every Yankee fought for White Supremacy. Including Lincoln who thought Blacks shouldn’t live with Blacks. Mid Westerners were the most Racist of any region of the Country. Lincoln warned them, You don’t want to be plowing and look over your shoulder and see a Negro.

North had a less than 1% Black Population. That is the Definition of White Supremacy. Something worth passing along.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Obviously, you haven't. I read excerpts from it in a paper that I proofread for a college student. It isn't really my thing, but it made for interesting reading, so haven't read the book itself. I wasn't the one who made an unfounded criticism.
I didn’t think so. You did the Google Search Challenged Foundation thingy, didn’t you? :smile:

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Black and white buried within the same cemetery. I thought that ran against the white supremacy creed.
Might need to pass that back.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
I would think the dead confederates didn't have much choice about being buried next to a few slaves.
Ironically, your linked article in post #25 says this about the cemetery:

“Blacks were barred from being buried in Oak Woods until the cemetery was desegregated in the ‘60s.”

Dead Confederates didn’t have much choice but white Chicagoans certainly did and they opted for white supremacy. Maybe our new favorite historian could include that in her next hit job.

How exactly does does studying USCT relate to Confederate POW dead and cemetery memorial's? Were there substantial numbers of USCT imprisoned at Camp Douglas?....

If going by the state right quote on the sign, the USCT were equally guilty of dieing for white supremacy as slavery was still a US state right during the war..........because you know people don't fight for abstract principles.....

Perhaps should be different thread, but as this does relate to it....if there weren't black Confederates.......why are some being held prisoner?......it's my understanding those held prisoner pointedly refused a loyalty oath to the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.