Historian Kate Masur wants to know why 6,000 Confederates are buried in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
Dude, you are misrepresenting what I said. I am pro-Union, period. I was in academia for 20 years, I know the psyche. She knows the history of it all, she just doesn't think the Confederates should be buried there, no matter the reason. Do you understand me?
If I'm understanding you correctly, my original reply stands. You're making an awful lot of assumptions.

lurid

First Sergeant
If I'm understanding you correctly, my original reply stands. You're making an awful lot of assumptions.

Okay, then translate for me what she's actually saying, please. Are saying that she didn't know the underlying reason why those Confederates are buried in Chicago? Yikes.

Which is also rather odd as the monument isn't to Wade Hampton.....it's to a mass grave of Confederate dead from Camp Douglas......which she questioned why are they there.....then didn't answer at all.
Her tweet speaks singularly "What is this Confederate doing here in a cemetery in Chicago?" and her protest sign is about Wade Hampton, the slave owner dedicating the monument. IMHO, her ire is directed a Hampton's name being on the plaque... not the monument or the Confederates buried below it.

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
Okay, then translate for me what she's actually saying, please. Are saying that she didn't know the underlying reason why those Confederates are buried in Chicago. Yikes.
The context of the above tweet is:

On September 26, 2020, we, and dozens of other historians, participated in the Civil War history day of action. At historic sites across the United States, participating historians presented evidence to disrupt, correct, or fill out the oversimplified and problematic messages too often communicated by the nation’s memorial landscape.

Source

Where does that say anything about moving out bodies?

Her tweet speaks singularly "What is this Confederate doing here in a cemetery in Chicago?" and her protest sign is about Wade Hampton, the slave owner dedicating the monument. IMHO, her ire is directed a Hampton's name being on the plaque... not the monument or the Confederates buried below it.
Hampton is buried in South Carolina. He has nothing to do with the dead the monument is to, other then giving a dedication speech.....which is part of the history of the mass grave and the monument....so not seeing why it should be somehow taboo to include when it was erected and it's dedication at all.

Is the absurdity to the point it's not if the monument itself is offensive.....let's go by who was in attendence or spoke?

Not going to many pre 1960 crowds where racists weren't in attendence or spoke...

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
My question is when are these same people going to go to Washington DC, hold up signs and ask why man who enslaved more than 300 people has his name gracing our nation’s capital. If you bring this movement to its logical conclusion that should be the endgame. Right?

Last edited:

lurid

First Sergeant
The context of the above tweet is:

On September 26, 2020, we, and dozens of other historians, participated in the Civil War history day of action. At historic sites across the United States, participating historians presented evidence to disrupt, correct, or fill out the oversimplified and problematic messages too often communicated by the nation’s memorial landscape.

Source

Where does that say anything about moving out bodies?

I never say anything about exhuming any bodies. I said this in post # 15: She knows the history of it all, she just doesn't think the Confederates should be buried there, no matter the reason. Do you understand me? I never said anything about moving bodies. She believes those Confederates should have never been buried there in the first place. I'll stick to what I said, even know it was/is misunderstood.

Hampton is buried in South Carolina. He has nothing to do with the dead the monument is to, other then giving a dedication speech.....which is part of the history of the mass grave and the monument....so not seeing why it should be somehow taboo to include when it was erected and it's dedication at all.
I know where Hampton is buried. There is also a plaque near the monument that explains why the monument is there and that it was paid for in part by the citizens of Chicago. I still believe her only issue is with Hampton's name being associated with the Monument; not with the Monument or the Confederate dead.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
The cemetery is on the south side where most of the violent crime happens. At some point the record number of shootings (3,200+) and murders (769) in 2020, 85% black on black, will be blamed on this monument. Bet on it.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
If the "WeWantMoreHistory" initiative is about educating and adding more information, then perhaps a marker could be installed explaining why the POW exchange cartel broke down, and so many POW's on both sides ending up dying in camps.

My question is when are these same people going to go to Washington DC, hold up signs and ask why man who enslaved more than 300 people has his name gracing our capital city. If you bring this movement to its logical conclusion that should be the endgame. Right?
I'm not supporting her. I merely disagree with those who believe by her tweets and signs that she wants the monument and soldier's remains removed.

I know where Hampton is buried. There is also a plaque near the monument that explains why the monument is there and that it was paid for in part by the citizens of Chicago. I still believe her only issue is with Hampton's name being associated with the Monument; not with the Monument or the Confederate dead.
Again if so, it's rather pointless as we aren't going to change who was at the dedication.

If she is indeed not against the monument, reflecting its history, including it's dedication, shouldn't be a issue..

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
I'm not supporting her. I merely disagree with those who believe by her tweets and signs that she wants the monument and soldier's remains removed.
I don’t know what she wants other than attention. But the article was written in the context of needing a conversation as to what to do about it.

If the "WeWantMoreHistory" initiative is about educating and adding more information, then perhaps a marker could be installed explaining why the POW exchange cartel broke down, and so many POW's on both sides ending up dying in camps.
Or perhaps elaborate on the poor conditions provided by the US to those in its care at Camp Douglas that lead to a high death rate....which is why so many are interred there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.