Historian Kate Masur wants to know why 6,000 Confederates are buried in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant

lupaglupa

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
If she is attempting to drum up controversy, is her next move to remove the monument and disinter the bodies?
I read a little about her. She seems well known in the CW field and co-edits a Journal on the War. She's part of a movement that feels we need to teach more about the Civil War so that the complexity of the War is known to more people. She has not advocated for removing monuments that I have seen (though admittedly I did not spend a long time reading her work). She has pushed for signs at monuments that add more information.

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I read a little about her. She seems well known in the CW field and co-edits a Journal on the War. She's part of a movement that feels we need to teach more about the Civil War so that the complexity of the War is known to more people. She has not advocated for removing monuments that I have seen (though admittedly I did not spend a long time reading her work). She has pushed for signs at monuments that add more information.
Thank you for the additional information, this hopefully will be a case of me needing to do more research before I fired off my response.

I don't read that tweet as that she doesn't know but rather as she guesses that many in Chicago don't know. Which is probably true.
If she knew, you would think she would simply answered the question in Camp Douglas had such poor conditions the death rate was 17%...........If didn't want thousands of Confederates buried in Chicago.....perhaps should have treated them better.

Her conduct seems rather frivolous and disrespectful, if the intent was to educate about the "Andersonville of the north"

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
I'd bet dollars to donuts she didn't have a clue what that monument was for. She does now though...
If she knew, you would think she would simply answered the question in Camp Douglas had such poor conditions the death rate was 17%...........If didn't want thousands of Confederates buried in Chicago.....perhaps should have treated them better.
You guys are making an awful lot of assumptions based on one tweet that you're misinterpretting.

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
No assumption, it not a secret other then perhaps to her, why there is a huge mass grave of Confederate dead at Oak Woods cemetery.........
The second line of the tweet is literally "Some Northwestern Historians want you to know." She IS a Northwestern Historian.

Also @lupaglupa already said that she's pushed for more information on monuments, which is not the same as taking them down.

You're just reading what you want to read.

lurid

First Sergeant
You guys are making an awful lot of assumptions based on one tweet that you're misinterpretting.

I'm sure she's an African-American apologist that puts on a show on the surface and really doesn't feel that way, but I'm sure she knows the reason why those Confederates are buried in Chicago. I think she's trying to say is in a paraphrase: "why didn't they throw those bodies on a wagon or something and ship them back down south? We don't want them here." That's my translation for what she's trying to say. Not that she doesn't know the reason per se, but she's saying they should have never buried them here. I personally don't care where anyone from that era was buried, I wasn't alive back then. So be it..

The second line of the tweet is literally "Some Northwestern Historians want you to know." She IS a Northwestern Historian.
Know what? She doesn't mention Camp Douglas, the poor conditions, or over 4000 being reinterred in the mass grave.

If this is what pass for education by a educator these days......it's rather lacking.

It would have made more sense to simply tweet these idiots protesting and holding signs have no idea of Camp Douglas or Chicago area history....certainly would have more direct and to the point, and actually answered the question of why there are Confederate dead and a monument there.......

JeffFromSyracuse

Corporal
I'm sure she's an African-American apologist that puts on a show on the surface and really doesn't feel that way, but I'm sure she knows the reason why those Confederates are buried in Chicago. I think she's trying to say is in a paraphrase: "why didn't they throw those bodies on a wagon or something and ship them back down south? We don't want them here." That's my translation for what she's trying to say. Not that she doesn't know the reason per se, but she's saying they should have never buried them here. I personally don't care where anyone from that era was buried, I wasn't alive back then. So be it..
Know what? She doesn't mention Camp Douglas, the poor conditions, our over 4000 being reinterred in the mass grave.

If this is what pass for education by a educator these days......it's rather lacking.

It would have made more sense to simply tweet these idiots protesting and holding signs have no idea of Camp Douglas or Chicago area history....
You guys are basing all of this on one tweet? I understand the passion, but the anger... yeesh.

lurid

First Sergeant
You guys are basing all of this on one tweet? I understand the passion, but the anger... yeesh.

Dude, you are misrepresenting what I said. I am pro-Union, period. I was in academia for 20 years, I know the psyche. She knows the history of it all, she just doesn't think the Confederates should be buried there, no matter the reason. Do you understand me?

I first thought that Dr. Kate Masur was questioning why those Confederates are buried there but after rereading her original tweet and a followup tweet of hers' that states "Amazing to me that Hampton — leader of the terrorist Red Shirt organization in SC in the 1870s — gave a keynote address at this monument’s dedication in 1895."

I know believe that her issue is with Wade Hampton's mention on the monument's plaque, and not the monument itself.

No anger, perhaps you are upset, it's just surprising many here know the actual history of why they are there, which she oddly omitted....which does seem a bit odd for a educator

I first thought that Dr. Kate Masur was questioning why those Confederates are buried there but after rereading her original tweet and a followup tweet of hers' that states "Amazing to me that Hampton — leader of the terrorist Red Shirt organization in SC in the 1870s — gave a keynote address at this monument’s dedication in 1895."

I know believe that her issue is with Wade Hampton's mention on the monument's plaque, and not the monument itself.
Which is also rather odd as the monument isn't to Wade Hampton.....it's to a mass grave of Confederate dead from Camp Douglas......which she questioned why are they there.....then didn't answer at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.