1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

His 18th and last battle was July 3, 1863 on Cemetery Ridge

Discussion in 'Four Footed Friends of the Civil War' started by SWMODave, Jul 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SWMODave

SWMODave First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Major Forum Host

It's unlikely the horse would have been at Ft. Sumter. Much less likely (unthinkable, actually) that Lt. Hall would have been allowed to keep him after his surrender. But, I think we'll all gladly allow 'Colonel' the unlikely honor anyway -- not that he really needs it!

Great story. Thanks for posting.

SWMODave, AnnaLee, frontrank2 and 2 others like this.
  4. dixie1861

dixie1861 Corporal

Aw, what a great story!! Such a noble steed. He was so handsome.

Thanks for posting! :smile:

SWMODave, donna and NH Civil War Gal like this.
  5. Kip124thNY

Kip124thNY Corporal

Thanks for posting. I enjoy reading and learning about individuals who fought during the war. The story about the Colonel was a nice piece.

SWMODave and NH Civil War Gal like this.
  6. connecticut yankee

connecticut yankee Sergeant

D. Scott Hartwig, National Park Historian, in his essay “I Ordered No Man to Go When I Would Not Go Myself”---Norman Hall, Alexander Webb, Alonzo Cushing, and the Art of Leading Men in Battle" has this to say about Norman J Hall then a young officer at Fort Sumter in April 1861:

"Hall also showed something of the stuff he was made of when on the second day of the bombardment a Confederate shot struck the fort’s flagstaff and sent the colors crashing down into the courtyard. The courtyard at this moment was a smoky hell. Confederate shells had set the fort’s barracks afire. The fire burned furiously, producing thick, choking smoke. The smoke and heat were so severe that to Abner Doubleday, “It seemed impossible to escape suffocation.” Assistant Surgeon Crawford described the scene as “pandemonium.” Hall dashed into this inferno of smoke, flame, and rubble. The heat was so intense it singed his hair and burnt off his eyebrows. His brass epaulets grew so hot he had to tear them off. But he managed to remove the flag from its halyards. As he did so it burst into flames, but he smothered or stamped out the fire. A sergeant, an engineer lieutenant, and a civilian laborer joined Hall and they strode up to the fort’s parapet and raised the flag again, under fire, to the cheers of the garrison. Surely, at that moment, Hall at least earned the respect of the old army men."

http://npshistory.com/series/symposia/gettysburg_seminars/9/essay7.pdf

Kurt G, SWMODave, rpkennedy and 6 others like this.
  7. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Great story. Such a beautiful horse.

NH Civil War Gal and SWMODave like this.
  8. rebed19th

rebed19th Private

Never gave the horses much thought, a remarkable record. If horses could only talk. Thanks for sharing

9. WJC

WJC Moderator Moderator

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

10. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Private

Great post. Thank you. Mike

11. Seduzal

Seduzal 1st Lieutenant

Congratulations on another great story! Thanks for sharing.

12. JoeWheeler

JoeWheeler Private

Keep the equine stories coming! I love each and every one! I must say for a light colored horse to survive so many battles is amazing. Riding such a horse into battle was the equivalent of shouting "Here I am shoot me" while riding a big target. Thanks for giving us a view of the ACW from an equine perspective.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. Thomasgat

Thomasgat Private

I would assume he was stabled nearby on shore.

14. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Major Forum Host

But, wasn't everything "nearby on shore" occupied by the rebels? I'm quite sure they would not have allowed the Lieutenant to take him back north with him when he was released.

ETA: I do note however, that Anderson and his 9 officers, 68 enlisted men and 8 musicians were "allowed to leave for the north." They apparently were not actually made prisoners, but left in possession of the Fort until a (civilian) ship was sent by the US fleet to take them away. It would be interesting to know just how that was handled. Perhaps they could bring off their personal property -- whether that included horses, I don't know. It should be possible to find out.

15. Belle Montgomery

Belle Montgomery First Sergeant

Great story! ALL of the horses thrown into the war deserve accolades!
    Notice the difference in his stance...back legs "parked out" like that could very likely be a back problem. Being shot in the hip probably didn't help with that either. Poor baby.

SWMODave likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)