Hillsborough Military Academy (North Carolina Military Academy) uniform

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I was wondering if any would know if the uniform in this image was worn during the Civil War?
Hillsborough MA.jpg

The Cadets of Hillsborough Military Academy a.k.a. North Carolina Military Academy, now North Carolina Polytechnic Academy, were called out for service but did not fight in any battles.

Is the identity of that cadet known?

I do not think it is know who he wae. I found this image on line while looking for the unifoms of a different military academy.

Becaue I knew they had been called up during the Civil War, I found the uniform intetesting.

The uniform and insignia are done a bit on the cheap and I have seen better uniforms. But this is what makes the uniform interesting.

Interesting. Many miltary schools based their uniforms on West Point, but often not exact copies.

Last edited:
The Hillsborough Military Academy in Hillsborough, North Carolina was established in 1859. It was also known as the North Carolina Military Academy as stated. Besides Ross, I am aware of only other one student from HMA who was also present at Gettysburg. That was Captain James Thomas Rosborough, aide-de-camp to Maj. Gen. William Dorsey Pender. Rosborough was also a student until 1861, then joined the 6th North Carolina.

By the way, the North Carolina Military Institute in Charlotte opened in 1859.

Last edited:
Great Photo. Thanks

Back