Hilliard's Legion

J.B.

Cadet
Hello Civil War Buffs,

Getting back to this relative of mine and facts about him:
His name was Andrew Jackson Hancock and he died August 1, 1862 in Chattanooga, TN ; he fought in the Co. C , Hilliard's Legion; 5th Battalion Calvary Vols.

I was wondering if Andrew would have used his own horse and rifle in the Calvary Vols. or if he would have been issued a gun, saddle, and horse in this particular battalion he was in?

Does anyone have an opinion or facts about this question of mine?
Or, does anyone have new information to share about this battalion on this date that was not brought up before in the thread?

I am still thinking about all the bits and pieces that are missing from his story. Just curious .....

JB from Texas

J.B.

Cadet
Hello Civil War Buffs,

Getting back to this forum thread bout my relative (2nd gr-grandfather), Private Andrew Jackson Hancock, who died August 1, 1862 in Chattanooga, TN; he fought in the Co. C , Hilliard's Legion; 5th Battalion Calvary Vols.

I have some questions that you might be able to answer.

• I think I read somewhere that this group was railed by train into the area that they were to fight. Am I correct?
  • If so, what was that experience like for the confederate men who were on the train?
  • Were they on the train long? Were they fed well? Did they bring their own horses?
  • I was wondering if my Andrew would have used his own horse and rifle/pistol in the Calvary Vols.?
  • Would he have been issued a pistol, gun, saddle, boots, and a horse does anyone have any information about what was issued?

Does anyone have new information to share about this battalion during this date of my relative's death, that was not brought up before in the thread?

I am still thinking about all the bits and pieces that are missing from his story. Just curious .....

JB from Texas

cowdensman

Private
Does anyone have any info. on Pvt. Thomas Baggett who I believe served in Hilliard's Legion,Alabama Infantry?

speedylee

Private
Here is what I have for Thomas Baggett, Company B, 2nd Battalion of Hilliard's Legion:
Baggett, Thomas; 2/B; Private, enlisted 4/2/62 at 25. Wounded at Petersburg 7/30/64, paroled at Greensboro, N.C. Born 4/22/38 in South Carolina.

cowdensman

Private
Here is what I have for Thomas Baggett, Company B, 2nd Battalion of Hilliard's Legion:
Baggett, Thomas; 2/B; Private, enlisted 4/2/62 at 25. Wounded at Petersburg 7/30/64, paroled at Greensboro, N.C. Born 4/22/38 in South Carolina.

speedylee

Private
There is a book, written in 1867, and though out of print for many years, can be found in some archives called "A History of the Sixtieth Alabama Regiment, Gracie's Alabama Brigade. It's author was a soldier, named Lewellyn Shaver.

Hilliard's Legion eventually became the 60th Ala.

This is a very good book and follows them through the entire war.

I have a GGGFather that was in this unit. Pvt. Elisha Gideon Hubbard
Hilliard's Legion actually split into three organizations: 59th Alabama Infantry, 60th Alabama Infantry and the 23rd Battalion, Alabama Sharpshooters. The split came after Chickamauga. The Cavalry Battalion that was part of the original Legion was cut away shortly after the Legion was formed in 1862 and it became part of the 10th Confederate Cavalry.

speedylee

Private
Hello Civil War Buffs,

His name was Andrew Jackson Hancock and he died August 1, 1862 in Chattanooga, TN ; he fought in the Co. C , Hilliard's Legion; 5th Battalion Calvary Vols.

I was wondering if Andrew would have used his own horse and rifle in the Calvary Vols. or if he would have been issued a gun, saddle, and horse in this particular battalion he was in?

Or, does anyone have new information to share about this battalion on this date that was not brought up before in the thread?

JB from Texas
Generally speaking, Confederate cavalry soldiers supplied their own horses.

cowdensman

Private
There also was another Thomas Baggett who served in the 1st.Tenn Volunteers(Turney's) as 3rd Lt. and was KIA in 1864 while home on furlough...Does anyone know if he was related to Thomas Baggett of Hilliard's Legion? The Tenn.Baggett was from Franklin Cty. on the Alabama border.

speedylee

Private
I am not sure if posting this information violates a rule here in this site. If so, I apologize for doing so and will understand if the post is removed. My book, That Bloody Hill: Hilliard's Legion at Chickamauga, which was published in January, includes a complete roster of the Legion. There are biographical notes on most of the soldiers. The notes are primarily related to military service.

speedylee

Private
Thank you Andy for this information. I have also found this general information in my research. Most of the Hilliard's Legion fighting and information was done after my relative's death date. (Aug 1, 1862) I never seem to find much about the Legion prior to it becoming a part of the 10th Conf. Cavalry. - JB
Only the 5th Battalion merged with a Georgia outfit to become the 10th Confed Cavalry. The other four battalions mostly remained together, in one form or another, through the end of the war.

speedylee

Private
There also was another Thomas Baggett who served in the 1st.Tenn Volunteers(Turney's) as 3rd Lt. and was KIA in 1864 while home on furlough...Does anyone know if he was related to Thomas Baggett of Hilliard's Legion? The Tenn.Baggett was from Franklin Cty. on the Alabama border.
I show Thomas Baggett as being born in South Carolina 4/22/1838. After Chickamauga he became part of the 59th Alabama. He was wounded at Petersburg and paroled at Greensboro, NC. He was living in Chandler Springs, Alabama in 1907-08. Does not look as though he is related to the Baggett from Tennessee.

speedylee

Private
There is a book, written in 1867, and though out of print for many years, can be found in some archives called "A History of the Sixtieth Alabama Regiment, Gracie's Alabama Brigade. It's author was a soldier, named Lewellyn Shaver.

Hilliard's Legion eventually became the 60th Ala.

This is a very good book and follows them through the entire war.

I have a GGGFather that was in this unit. Pvt. Elisha Gideon Hubbard
You can also read Reminiscences, giving sketches of scenes which the author has passed and pen portraits of people who have modified his life by Legion veteran John Massey and, more recently, That Bloody Hill: Hilliard's Legion at Chickamauga, published by McFarland.

speedylee

Private
Hello Civil War Buffs,

JB from Texas
According to a newspaper advertisement from the time, the volunteers in Hilliard's cavalry unit supplied their own horses and the army supplied the men with shotguns.

cowdensman

Private
I show Thomas Baggett as being born in South Carolina 4/22/1838. After Chickamauga he became part of the 59th Alabama. He was wounded at Petersburg and paroled at Greensboro, NC. He was living in Chandler Springs, Alabama in 1907-08. Does not look as though he is related to the Baggett from Tennessee.
Thank you.

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Wow, a thread on Hilliard's Legion. Near and dear to my heart as my GG-Grandfather, (Pvt. John Wilson Pepper), served in that unit, and later in Co. D 60th Alabama Volunteers. Two years ago I met some distant cousins who had known him, and heard some of his war stories as children, on Chickamauga he had told them of how there had been so many dead covering the field that one could walk across and never touch the ground, he had also shared how on picket duty he had decided to leave his post to get a drink of water from a nearby creek, and when he did ran into three Yanks who had the same idea, he fired his musket an ran away as fast as he could! After a few minutes, he realized he wasn't being followed, and went back to see why, and last saw two of them hauling the third away, he believed that may have been the only man he had killed, and being devout, I'm sure he regretted the rest of his life.

On a side note the uniform he had worn home from Appomattox existed and was kept in the family till the late 50's early 60's when it was loaned to my then child Dad, when he didn't have a jacket one winter, I searched for that jacket till I found out it had been disassembled for its cloth to patch some jeans my Dad had repeatedly torn to shreds while running around. Based on the descriptions of it I'm fairly certain it was either a Type 3 Richmond Depot or a Tait, to bad it still isn't around, much less the early war photo of him I've been told of, descriptions of it point to him wearing an early war Alabama jacket, quite different from known photos of Hilliard's Legion soldiers. The descriptions I've been told match the "Gilmore" jacket Fred Adolphus covered in his article on Alabama jackets, exactly.