Hilliard's Legion

Hello,

I saw this link while researching about my relative. My 2nd great grandfather fought in the Co. C , Hilliard's Legion; 5th Battalion Calvary Vols. His name was Andrew Jackson Hancock and he died August 1, 1862 in Chattanooga, TN. (I have also seen Aug. 2nd written.)

All I know from my research is that Hilliard's Alabama Legion was organized at Montgomery, Alabama on June 25, 1862. It consisted of 3 infantry; 1 artillery; and 1 cavalry batallion, making 3,000 men.
Under the First Commander Colonel Henry W. HILLIARD, the legion were encamped at Montgomery, organizing and drilling, until July 8, when they were transported via Atlanta to Chattanooga, TN.- Hillard's Legion later was placed in McCown's brigade.

Maybe some of you Civil History buffs know exactly what battles were taking place at the date of Andrew's death (Aug. 1, 1862) and have some interesting early information for me to know about that Battalion.

Better yet a picture of the Hilliard Legion (if there is something like that) or of other soldiers or camps that were in Chattanooga TN. Really anything would be helpful and is more information than what I have listed above.

Thank you for your attention,

J.B. - Texas

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Hancock , Andrew J.
Battle Unit Name: Hilliard's Legion, Alabama Volunteers
Side: Confederacy
Company: C
Soldier's Rank In: Private
Soldier's Rank Out: Private
Alternate name:
Film Number: M374 ROLL 18
Plaque Number:
Notes: none

Hilliard's Legion, Alabama Volunteers
Overview: Hilliard's Legion, organized at Montgomery, Alabama, in June, 1862, contained almost 3,000 men. It was composed of five battalions, but one mounted battalion soon became part of the 10th Confederate Cavalry Regiment. Its artillery arm was detached and redesignated the Barbour Light Artillery. The legion was assigned to General Gracie's Brigade, served at Cumberland Gap, then fought at Chickamauga where it lost forty-five percent of the 902 engaged. In November, 1863, it was dissolved. Parts of the 1st and 3rd Battalions formed the 60th Alabama Regiment, and the 2nd and 4th Battalions became the 59th Alabama Regiment. Three companies of the 1st Battalion formed the 23rd Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters. Its colonels were Henry W. Hillard and Jack Thorington. The 1st Battalion was commanded by Lieutenant Colonels John H. Holt and Jack Thorington, and Major Daniel S. Troy; the 2nd Battalion by Lieutenant Colonel Bolling Hall, Jr. and Major William T. Stubblefield; the 3rd Battalion by Lieutenant Colonel John W.A. Sanford and Major Hatch Cook; and the 4th Battalion by Majors John D. McLennen and William N. Reeves.

Shadow9216

First Sergeant
Hello,

I saw this link while researching about my relative. My 2nd great grandfather fought in the Co. C , Hilliard's Legion; 5th Battalion Calvary Vols. His name was Andrew Jackson Hancock and he died August 1, 1862 in Chattanooga, TN. (I have also seen Aug. 2nd written.)

All I know from my research is that Hilliard's Alabama Legion was organized at Montgomery, Alabama on June 25, 1862. It consisted of 3 infantry; 1 artillery; and 1 cavalry batallion, making 3,000 men.
Under the First Commander Colonel Henry W. HILLIARD, the legion were encamped at Montgomery, organizing and drilling, until July 8, when they were transported via Atlanta to Chattanooga, TN.- Hillard's Legion later was placed in McCown's brigade.

Maybe some of you Civil History buffs know exactly what battles were taking place at the date of Andrew's death (Aug. 1, 1862) and have some interesting early information for me to know about that Battalion.

Better yet a picture of the Hilliard Legion (if there is something like that) or of other soldiers or camps that were in Chattanooga TN. Really anything would be helpful and is more information than what I have listed above.

Thank you for your attention,

J.B. - Texas
This guy? ajhancock1.jpg

Hancock , Andrew J.
Battle Unit Name: Hilliard's Legion, Alabama Volunteers
Side: Confederacy
Company: C
Soldier's Rank In: Private
Soldier's Rank Out: Private
Alternate name:
Film Number: M374 ROLL 18
Plaque Number:
Notes: none

Hilliard's Legion, Alabama Volunteers
Overview: Hilliard's Legion, organized at Montgomery, Alabama, in June, 1862, contained almost 3,000 men. It was composed of five battalions, but one mounted battalion soon became part of the 10th Confederate Cavalry Regiment. Its artillery arm was detached and redesignated the Barbour Light Artillery. The legion was assigned to General Gracie's Brigade, served at Cumberland Gap, then fought at Chickamauga where it lost forty-five percent of the 902 engaged. In November, 1863, it was dissolved. Parts of the 1st and 3rd Battalions formed the 60th Alabama Regiment, and the 2nd and 4th Battalions became the 59th Alabama Regiment. Three companies of the 1st Battalion formed the 23rd Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters. Its colonels were Henry W. Hillard and Jack Thorington. The 1st Battalion was commanded by Lieutenant Colonels John H. Holt and Jack Thorington, and Major Daniel S. Troy; the 2nd Battalion by Lieutenant Colonel Bolling Hall, Jr. and Major William T. Stubblefield; the 3rd Battalion by Lieutenant Colonel John W.A. Sanford and Major Hatch Cook; and the 4th Battalion by Majors John D. McLennen and William N. Reeves.

Thank you Andy for this information. I have also found this general information in my research. Most of the Hilliard's Legion fighting and information was done after my relative's death date. (Aug 1, 1862) I never seem to find much about the Legion prior to it becoming a part of the 10th Conf. Cavalry. - JB

My GG Grandfather was a Hancock from Georgia so I feel pretty safe to say "Welcome, cousin".
Yes, we must be. My Pt. Andrew Hancock father's info in Georgia:
Samuel Hancock (SR)was born in 1796 in South Carolina. The earliest records I have indicate that he married Mary B Atkinson on the 30th of November in 1820 in Clarke County Ga (Athens,Ga).
Samuel is listed in the 1830, Census in Clarke county and in 1840 he is listed in Henry County, Ga. 1st wife Mary B. Atkinson Hancock died in 1839.

Thank you. This Hilliard's Flag was really neat to see. I had not found this flag in my search yet. I do have a question: Is the brown material shown as an X a part of the flag design or is it to hold the fabric threads in place?
The diagonal bands are part of the flag's design. I presume they were originally scarlet.

Last edited:
The diagonal bands are part of the flag's design. I presume they were originally scarlet.
Andy,
Ok, so the flag colors were the opposite of the Confederate flag with the stars in the circle instead of on the X....?
12 stars instead of 11 for the eleven Confederate states ?

Interesting that it was made from from the wedding trousseau of Mrs. Henry W. Hilliard and presented to Hilliard's Legion upon their organization in June 1862. This was only 2 mo. before my relative Andrew Jackson Hancock died August 1, 1862 in Chattanooga, TN. It was a new Legion and a new flag then!

- JB from Texas

This flag was made only a few months after the adoption of what we now know as the Confederate Battle Flag by the Army of Northern Virginia. That pattern became more widespread as the war went on, but there were innumerable variations of flags used by units n the field, some based on the CBF and some not.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!