Hill v. Longstreet, who'd have won?

Who would have won?

• A.P. Hill

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • James Longstreet

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
I've been reading on A.P. Hill lately and in addition to seeing more of his problems with his commanding officers, was exposed to the fact that he at one became so incensed with Longstreet that he challenged him to a duel which was of course prevented from happening. Led me to wonder, assuming either that it was fought to first blood or the death, who would have won? I don't have William Hassler's book with me at my overnight desk job or I'd get the quote but I remember reading that Hill at one point put his saber on leading me to think that it would have (unsurprisingly) been fought with swords over pistols. Thoughts on who would have prevailed? I think my money would have been on Longstreet due to his size but I'm curious to hear other opinions. Certainly would have been an interesting episode had it happened.

"After Hill’s refusal to forward even routine reports to headquarters, Longstreet placed him under arrest and confined him to quarters. Hill took the next step, issuing a challenge to his commanding officer to duel. The two men began making arrangements to settle their differences on the field of honor.

The possibility of losing one or both of his finest commanders finally moved Lee to take action. He restored Hill to his command, then transferred his division to Stonewall Jackson’s corps in the Shenandoah Valley" - One source

I can't speculate on how they would have done in a duel, but if it was a good old-fashioned fist fight, I'd put my money on Longstreet. The weight difference between them alone wouldn't be allowed in a boxing match. :confused:

Agreed, I'm inclined to believe that having that weight to throw around would also translate into an advantage in swordplay but I admittedly know very little about that. They both would have at least rudimentary knowledge of fencing from their West Point days for sure, I don't believe either ever fought a duel in their lives though.

I guess then the next perhaps harder to answer question is how would such an event have changed the course of the war? Do we have precedent on how Longstreet would have been dealt with had he killed or maimed Hill in a duel? Or any guess how the rest of the war goes without Hill? Part of me is inclined to think that as proud a man as he was, had the duel been to first blood or capitulation and he lost and suffered the humiliation of it that he may have outright left the army at that point. He was never one to let something go hence his incessant letter writing to Lee about Jackson even after Stonewall dropped court martial charges against him, but once you lose a duel and live you have no further social recourse. And of course had he died in a duel he wouldn't have maintained his command. I don't think I know enough to speculate too much on the butterfly effect that Hill's death would have had.

I like A P Hill and his redshirt he wears into battle but I think overall Longstreet was a stronger Crops commander by far... and Longstreet was 6 foot tall and Hill was 5' 8'' tall so in a one, on one contest I think bigger guy wins... lol

I'd have to agree that Longstreet being a bigger built individual would have probably had the upper hand. With that being said, some of the toughest individuals I've come across were built along the lines of A.P. Hill. I would have backed Little Powell and hoped for the best. Thank goodness General Lee intervened.

I guess then the next perhaps harder to answer question is how would such an event have changed the course of the war? Do we have precedent on how Longstreet would have been dealt with had he killed or maimed Hill in a duel? Or any guess how the rest of the war goes without Hill? Part of me is inclined to think that as proud a man as he was, had the duel been to first blood or capitulation and he lost and suffered the humiliation of it that he may have outright left the army at that point. He was never one to let something go hence his incessant letter writing to Lee about Jackson even after Stonewall dropped court martial charges against him, but once you lose a duel and live you have no further social recourse. And of course had he died in a duel he wouldn't have maintained his command. I don't think I know enough to speculate too much on the butterfly effect that Hill's death would have had.
I remember in the western theater, after a failed expedition to retake Helena, Aransas, Confederate cavalry commander John Marmaduke accused his superior, Lucius Walker, of cowardice, having not been with his troops at the battle. Walker challenged Marmaduke to a duel. On 6th September, 1863, Marmaduke shot and killed Walker in said duel. Marmaduke was to be court martialed for the affair; however, Federal troops were approaching Little Rock, and such affairs would be handled later. They never were; the charges were quickly forgotten.
That is the one example I can think of for this period. Given the distance from the capital and thus less beauracy in place out west, I bet that the situation would be more severe for Longstreet, with more eyes over on that end.
However, it must also be mentioned that, in 1862, Union General Jefferson C. Davis shot and killed William Bull Nelson in cold blood, and retained his command for the rest of the war, and even rising to command XIV Corps, I believe.

Not sure how to respond to this poll and question. Undoubtedly, Longstreet was more effective as a corps commander than A.P. Hill so on that basis Longstreet would be the "winner". On the other hand, Hill's military reputation generally rests on his service as a division commander, in which he served effectively. So its hard to make a direct comparison between the two commanders without stipulating the level of organizational responsibility of each.

However, it must also be mentioned that, in 1862, Union General Jefferson C. Davis shot and killed William Bull Nelson in cold blood, and retained his command for the rest of the war, and even rising to command XIV Corps, I believe.

Interestingly, Davis never received his second star (although he did receive a major general brevet for actions during the Atlanta Campaign).

Ryan

It is my impression that in fencing, as implied above, ("Hill, at on point put on his sabre"), the more agile fencer can often best an opponent who is physically stronger. No expert here, just something I remember a fencing friend alluding to a long time ago.

Not sure how to respond to this poll and question. Undoubtedly, Longstreet was more effective as a corps commander than A.P. Hill so on that basis Longstreet would be the "winner". On the other hand, Hill's military reputation generally rests on his service as a division commander, in which he served effectively. So its hard to make a direct comparison between the two commanders without stipulating the level of organizational responsibility of each.

Oh the question is without regard to their leadership/battlefield performance. Just had they fought man to man presumably with sabers who would have bested who in single combat if that helps. The jury seems to overwhelmingly favor Longstreet.

Well if it is a wrestling duel. I see a spear followed by a jackhammer from Longstreet to win the day. lol...............only you wrestling fans will understand my post......lol

Respectfully,
William
maxresdefault.jpg

Back