Hill County, TX CSA veterans

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
I've driven by the Hill County,TX Courthouse going to/coming home from Lake Whitney, TX at least 4 times a year since 2000. Up until a little over a month ago,I didn't even think to look for monuments like as follows. Up until joining this forum I wasn't aware how many there were. Saw this today.

IMG_20150823_114941232.jpg

Last edited:
Posted in this forum because the little bit of quick research I did when I got home showed that most of the troops from Hill County served in Cavalry units that saw action mostly in Louisiana and Arkansas

Posted in this forum because the little bit of quick research I did when I got home showed that most of the troops from Hill County served in Cavalry units that saw action mostly in Louisiana and Arkansas

Hill County was not far removed from the ragged frontier back in the day.

That is a really cute courthouse. I love being able to look at the roof details. Looked it up and apparently the original was built in 1890, then burned, and was rebuilt completely to the original plans only in 1999? Good job Hill county!

I note too that it is a monument to all Confederate soldiers,not just to those from Hill County.

That is a really cute courthouse. I love being able to look at the roof details. Looked it up and apparently the original was built in 1890, then burned, and was rebuilt completely to the original plans only in 1999? Good job Hill county!

That's not the half of it. After being refurbished, it burned and Willie Nelson had to show up and help raise $$ so they could redo it again! (Texas has a great program to restore historic courthouses...Hill Co. is one of the ones that benefited greatly.) It truly is beautiful. (So is ours, which was redone just a few years ago).

Some time when you're through there, take a look at Hill Co. Jr. College. They have extensive archives. If you read Dr. Frazier's Louisiana Quadrille (which he says may be expanded even more), there is a lot of information on those troops. :smile:

"Choot 'em! Choot 'em!" (Frazier quote from the hijinks stopping the Union troops coming north to what eventually becomes the battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill)

That's not the half of it. After being refurbished, it burned and Willie Nelson had to show up and help raise $$ so they could redo it again! (Texas has a great program to restore historic courthouses...Hill Co. is one of the ones that benefited greatly.) It truly is beautiful. (So is ours, which was redone just a few years ago).

Some time when you're through there, take a look at Hill Co. Jr. College. They have extensive archives. If you read Dr. Frazier's Louisiana Quadrille (which he says may be expanded even more), there is a lot of information on those troops. :smile:

"Choot 'em! Choot 'em!" (Frazier quote from the hijinks stopping the Union troops coming north to what eventually becomes the battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill)
Would that be this museum? Definitely plan to check it out.

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc16/txheritage1.htm

Back