Hildene, the Robert Todd Lincoln home in Manchester, Vermont

Was there a picture of the actual organ itself? I would like to see it and know the maker and date of it.
Lubliner.
No. The playing part is tucked in a corner and I think it may have been roped off. The pipes go under the floor and up to the landing - I think they said 500 pipes on each side of the nook (I may be off on that). The docent stands behind it and presses a button to play a 60 second MIDI of what it would have sounded like playing "In the Good Old Summer Time" approximately ever 10 minutes, which was charming when you were outside under the portico waiting for your turn to be let in, but really irritating by the time you left the house. They really need to add some variety there.

Was there a picture of the actual organ itself? I would like to see it and know the maker and date of it.
Lubliner.
20210805_105910.jpg

This is the most I could get of the organ

All the boxes in the bookcase against the wall; I began to think the organ could play itself, with its opening in the front, and those rolls as the musical notations it follows. This wasn't a 'Player-organ' perchance, was it? (Sounds like a 'What's my line' question!).
Lubliner.

All the boxes in the bookcase against the wall; I began to think the organ could play itself, with its opening in the front, and those rolls as the musical notations it follows. This wasn't a 'Player-organ' perchance, was it? (Sounds like a 'What's my line' question!).
Lubliner.
Yes it was. It could be played on the keyboard as per usual and also had rolls of songs that could be put in and the organ would play by itself, like a player piano.

It's a great place and a wonderful area.
Orvis has a fly-fishing g school nearby and in the back of the home grounds is a Falconry school where you (I) can fly the gorgeous birds of prey
I know one guy who does falconry up in Vermont, but it might not be the same guy. Last I knew, the New England Falconry guy was associated with the Woodstock Inn, which is quite a ways farther North, I think. He also does hawk encounters in Hadley, Mass. I had his daughter in class a few years ago.

I know one guy who does falconry up in Vermont, but it might not be the same guy. Last I knew, the New England Falconry guy was associated with the Woodstock Inn, which is quite a ways farther North, I think. He also does hawk encounters in Hadley, Mass. I had his daughter in class a few years ago.
I did it twice and it was a terrific experience

Back