Hiking the battlefield + Retreat From Gettysburg 2017

There are only 2 other bathroom/drinking fountain buildings that I know of on the battlefield. Besides the one that you mentioned, the others are in the National Cemetery and at the southern entrance of the park on Emittsburg Rd.

At the Pennsylvania Memorial.

And another just about 100 yards from Spangler's Spring at Culps Hill.

Few port-a-potties as well (doing the Conf. Ave Circle from the beginning: At the boy scout camp, at the Longstreet Woods/Amphitheater, at the BRT parking spot, just after the LRT; There is at least one by the Rose farm. And I probably forgot a few...)

I would not go near that water from the drinking fountains btw.

Also at Wheatfield Road and Sedgwick Avenue, just off the Northern slope of Little Round Top.

Also at Wheatfield Road and Sedgwick Avenue, just off the Northern slope of Little Round Top.

Would this be them? :D

upload_2017-11-24_21-21-42.png

The West End guide station (the nice one with benches and the working water fountain, across from the Buford portrait statue) and the South End guide station ( just as nice, but often used by the battlefield tour buses, across from the Eisenhower farm exit lane) are both nice. The Culp's Hill/Spangler's Spring one is fine, but small. There are, as folks have pointed out, portopotties in a few places (I try to avoid those if at all possible). I don't often go into the VC anymore, but my rest stop of choice in the warm weather are to rest rooms in the tour bus parking lot. Lots of room, clean, waterbottle filling station (and bottled water vending machine, if you want to pay $2.50 for one).

If you are walking the battlefield, then having well-spaced and equipped rest stops is pretty important.:smile:

At the Pennsylvania Memorial.

Nope. I don't use those. :nah disagree:Like I said, I'm picky.

The West End guide station (the nice one with benches and the working water fountain, across from the Buford portrait statue) and the South End guide station ( just as nice, but often used by the battlefield tour buses, across from the Eisenhower farm exit lane) are both nice. The Culp's Hill/Spangler's Spring one is fine, but small.

Yep. Those are the good ones.:thumbsup:

Day 3 - Dat Flank!

Back in July 1863, when the Prussians bombarded Pearl Harbor and President Schwarzenegger allied with Soviet France to ... ... what? Oh, I´m sorry, wrong timeline. Back in July 1863, when those two Union and Confederate armies were at Gettysburg, what would have been made different if the participants had known that over 150 years later it would not just be a footnote in history but a place of pilgrimage for certain enthusiasts? Where strange people would try to retrace every step and hear every word spoken back then? Maybe some things would have been more thought over. And maybe a few more autobiographic books would have been written, and closer to the events. Pickett? Pickett?

Now that the extended toilet break is over we have a new year and and we´re going to a new day (not The New Day!). Not sure if that is the best place to mention that the common name for mobile restrooms in Germany is Dixi (but it was named thus by the American G.I. who invented it so it is your fault). And with some more pictures this time.

After last day ended with crossing the field of the PPT-Charge this day began with the usual walk through town, now east to south, while underway stocking up on Tabasco-flavored salami. I then did a counter-march, taking the NPS service lane, just north of the other two mowed PPT-routes, and resumed following the W Confed Ave down south. At this early time I saw quite a number of joggers south of town, as would be the case on other days. Good roads and paths, no landmines, way to go (or jog).

And a little while later I arrived of course on one of my personal highlight points, the Longstreet monument. While there we had strong winds and the hazelnuts were raining down on us, the statue deflecting them with a clear pling sound every time.

P1000155.JPG

Even managed to get a picture of me there to post it here, just so that @FarawayFriend stops her playful nagging (and thanks to a friendly Segway tour guide rolling by).

P1000145.JPG

Then I proceeded further and came near the Longstreet Observation Tower, which again wasn´t there at the time of the battle (suppose that is not the death moon but my finger in the corner).

P1000161.JPG

I didn´t approach directly because there was a school group present that filled the place already. So I sat down on a stone wall in some distance and ate my lunch, wating for the noisy teenager menace to go over. Afterwards I went up the stairs and stairs (and stairs and stairs etc. etc.) and arrived on the platform just in time to find a bench that I wanted. The combination of the slightly reeling metal construction and lots of wind is not too pleasant for one affraid of hights but nonetheless it gave spectacular view over a huge portion of the surroundings. And as there was no artillery shooting at me I instead took a couple of shots myself. Like the Peach Orchard.

P1000162.JPG

And Little Round Top and Big Round Top, respectively.

P1000163.JPG

P1000164.JPG

Marching down south in the area where the markers of 1st Corps units flourished one interesting thing is the Texas state monument. Don´t know about you but I find that combination of stone, light, shadow and writing difficult to read. Of course it can be read but not as easy as many others and it gets much tougher with distance. Apparently Texas used this monument version on other battlefields, too.

20170926_115210.jpg

Down there also is a picnic area, a little aside the avenue though with attached parking spots. The whole is domed by trees but the each seating area has a roof so no fear of insectiod death from above. There also is a restroom building nearby but no water fountains. After a little rest I resumed my march and in a few minutes reached the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (Confederate naval presence at Gettysburg?) There the road changes direction from southward to eastwards. I followed that and then thought about taking a hiking path that led south (South Cavalry Field, Sachs Bridge etc.) but decided to leave that for the next time. I took some other hiking paths and I have to say that I think that a few more direction signs would be pretty good because after some turns and crossings I ended up at the Slyder Farm (as said restroom available), which is pretty much hidden from the north by hilly terrain and trees, and would have been back in the west on Confederate Ave if I wouldn´t have returned the same way I came from.

Another interesting point is that in the woodes south/south-east of Gettysburg the mosquitos and other Winged Beasts of Death are quite active and a real nuisance - means the Tabasco-flavored salami now could show its worth in keeping them from my face ... and once the effect unfurled it worked pretty well. Coincidentally I´m eating some spicy salami right now [Disclaimer: I´m not sponsored by the salami industry. Any injuries people may suffer by either eating salami or being hit with it are not my fault.].

The first place you reach after the bend that takes you to the federal side of the battle is Big Round Top. Parking lot, restrooms, easy footpath up to the top, all courtesy of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Back to BRT, up the top you not only see some pretty steep slopes but e.g. the other marker of the 20th Maine Infantry Regiment, which also designates the left-most flank position on July 3rd.

P1010006.JPG

After the big one I went on the Little Round Top but it was getting late and my feet were getting tired so made only a quick visit, knowing that I´d return for more on the next day. So as said just a first impression, giving Paddy the obligatory friendly nose rub and trying to see whatever Warren saw and off I went.

P1010020.JPG

P1010025.JPG

I didn´t want to spoil more of the Union center so I turned eastward on Wheatfield Rd and then marched northwards on Taneytown Rd. Taneytown Rd is a normal road already, houses left and right, and the shoulder lanes are very narrow. On one long slope there is about none on the left as the area is covered by rocks so at least on one point going on the right is the safer option if you´re on foot. My notes said something about a monument along those roads but I can´t find anything right now. So then I marched through the Union center's rear, which I actually planned and could reasonably well reach (because I´m not Stuart), and right into town. South to northeast, back in my hotel, the usual procedure. It was a a long, tough and demanding but awesome day and therefore I say Good night, GettyzzzzZZZZz ... rfglmgroargzzzzzzzZZZ .... MachtmirdenrechtenFlügelstark .. ZZZzzzzZZz ... Isaidnosugar .... zzZZZZzzz (Was there even a train that night?)

Last edited:
Even managed to get a picture of me there to post it here, just so that @FarawayFriend stops her playful nagging

Frieder, apart from enjoying to read your after action report a great deal, I'm really appreciative of your photo. I cannot promise to stop my "playful nagging" for more photos, though, as it is always great to see photos of handsome gentlemen and you definitely count among them! @Eleanor Rose and @LoriAnn and you other ladies - wouldn't you agree??
Please make sure to post your photo also in my "Me and General Longstreet" thread to add it to our collection:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/me-and-general-longstreet.127610/#post-1396353

Thanks again for that great report that added so much to my knowledge of Gettysburg and for the photos - they have brought back so many fond memories...

Keep it coming. I love reading your personal take on the battlefield experience rather than just photos along with synopses of the battle. There should be a smile or laugh button, rather than just 'like' since your posts elicit more than just a 'like.'

Back