Highest Regimental Losses

Okay, I found one source: the official report of Major Charles S. Peyton of the 19th Virginia Infantry, who wrote the brigade after-battle report, as he was acting commander because of the high number of ranking officer casualties. His report states: "The brigade went into action with 1,287 men and about 140 officers, as shown by the report of the previous evening, and sustained a loss, as the list of casualties will show, of 941 killed, wounded, and missing, and it is feared, from all the information received, that the majority (those reported missing) are either killed or wounded."
I'll try to get more sources, as his report could be off.
Here is the breakdown that Harrison and Busey give (from pages 457-461):

Garnett and staff: 4 officers, 2 privates
8th Virginia: 31 officers, 49 noncommissioned officers, 162 privates
18th Virginia: 31 officers, 64 noncommissioned officers, 276 privates
19th Virginia: 38 officers, 76 noncommissioned officers, 312 privates
28th Virginia: 24 officers, 61 noncommissioned officers, 291 privates
56th Virginia: 28 officers, 67 noncommissioned officers, 335 privates
Total: 156 officers, 317 noncommissioned officers, 1378 privates

Here are the casualties they use:

Garnett and staff: 1 officer killed, 1 officer wounded, 1 officer wounded and captured, 1 officer wounded
8th Virginia: 2 officers/6 NCOs/26 privates killed, 7 officers/6 NCOs/20 privates wounded, 9 officers/8 NCOs/32 privates wounded and captured, 5 officers/16 NCOs/31 privates captured (total of 23 officers, 36 NCOs, and 109 privates as casualties)
18th Virginia: 3 officers/11 NCOs/30 privates killed, 6 officers/12 NCOs/37 privates wounded, 12 officers/22 NCOs/50 privates wounded and captured, 2 officers/3 NCOs/43 privates captured (total of 23 officers, 48 NCOs, and 160 privates as casualties)
19th Virginia: 3 officers/8 NCOs/29 privates killed, 9 officers/15 NCOs/20 privates wounded, 10 officers/12 NCOs/27 privates wounded and captured, 1 officer/10 NCOs/24 privates captured (total of 23 officers, 45 NCOs, and 100 privates as casualties)
28th Virginia: 2 officers/9 NCOs/24 privates killed, 4 officers/14 NCOs/27 privates wounded, 3 officers/11 NCOs/36 privates wounded and captured, 5 officers/6 NCOs/31 privates captured (total of 14 officers, 39 NCOs, and 118 privates as casualties)
56th Virginia: 4 officers/7 NCOs/16 privates killed, 2 officers/7 NCOs/27 privates wounded, 5 officers/8 NCOs/40 privates wounded and captured, 6 officers/9 NCOs/32 privates captured (total of 17 officers, 31 NCOs, 115 privates as casualties)
Total: 15 officers/41 NCOs/125 privates killed, 29 officers/53 NCOs/131 privates wounded, 40 officers/61 NCOs/185 privates wounded and captured, 20 officers/44 NCOs/161 privates captured (total of 104 officers, 199 NCOs, and 602 privates as casualties)

This was Harrison and Busey's methodology for coming up with these numbers and the roster that follows (from page 164-5):

"The individual unit rosters which follow were compiled from contemporary Confederate company muster rolls on file in the National Archives, in Washington, DC. The rolls used were primarily those of the April/June 1863 muster period which was conducted by the division on 30 June at and near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. In a small number of instances, unit July/August 1863 muster rolls were used when 30 June rolls could not be located. In rare instances--such as with the 38th Virginia of Armistead's Brigade--when muster rolls were not available, either of the pre- or post-battle period, the author conducted a complete review of all individual compiled service records of soldiers who served with the unit during the entire course of the war. Every effort was made in reviewing these records to determine if each soldier was or could have been at the battle. Those who could definitely be determined to have been absent from the engagement were deleted and the residue were included in the roster. While this may at first seem to be a relatively inaccurate way of determining those present for such units, it is, given the current condition of Confederate records, virtually the only way a roster for the units could be compiled. All unit rosters were correlated against the personal recollections of participants in the assault which are contained in the narrative of this book. Only in rare instances did the roster fail to match the recollections of survivors. While it is virtually certain that some men listed in this roster were not at Gettysburg, and that some who were in the assault may not in fact be listed, the author is confident that it is as complete and accurate as is currently possible, given the passage of 129 years and current condition of Southern war records."

Later, she describes how any number of walking wounded could be unaccounted for as they either never visited a hospital or stayed for so short a time that it was not considered significant. Harrison speculates that as many as 300 wounded could be unaccounted for in this way (page 165).

R

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Let's not forget the 16th Maine who acted as the rear-guard for the First Corps during their retreat at Gettysburg. They went into the fight with 25 officers and 250 men and lost 22 officers and 211 men.

R

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
The 6th Mississippi, part of Cleburne’s Brigade, attacked the 3rd Brigade of Sherman’s 5th Division at about 7:45 am Sunday morning near the Shiloh Methodist meeting house. During the next 4 hours the regiment gained the sobriquet “The Bloody Sixth” having sustained the greatest percentage loss of by either side. Suffering casualties of 300 from the 450 men who began the battle created a loss of 70%. The greatest loss by a Federal regiment was the 9th Illinois which had casualties of 63%.
Regards
David

Report of Brig. Gen. P. R. Cleburne, C. S. Army
Commanding Second Brigade.
Hdqrs. Second Brigade, Hardee’s Division,
May 24, 1862.
The Sixth Mississippi and Twenty-third Tennessee charged through the encampments on the enemy. The line was necessarily broken by the standing tents. Under the terrible fire much confusion followed, and a quick and bloody repulse was the consequence.

The Twenty-third Tennessee was with difficulty rallied about 100 yards in the rear; again and again the Sixth Mississippi, unaided, charged the enemy’s line, and it was only when the regiment had lost 300 officers and men killed and wounded, out of an aggregate of 425, that it yielded and retreated in disorder over its own dead and dying. Colonel Thornton and Major Lowry, the field officers, were both wounded. It would be useless to enlarge on the courage and devotion of the Sixth Mississippi. The facts as recorded speak louder than any words of mine.

Flag of the Lowry Rifles - Company D, 6th Mississippi Infantry
1552602613499.png

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Hey, I've got pix of the monuments to these units if anybody cares to enjoy...

And I know I have the Texas Monument from Antietam somewhere...I've been there a dozen plus times but can't seem to find the pic...sorry.​

For completionists like myself:
1552604579739.png

AUG

Brigadier General
Forum Host
A few things to note:

The losses I listed for the 26th NC were only for the first day. I got the numbers from William F. Fox's Regimental Losses. According to Covered with Glory by Rod Gragg, the 26th had 800 officers and men engaged and lost 588 on July 1 and 99 on July 3, for a total of 687.

And on the 1st Texas at Antietam: Col. Philip A. Work later wrote in an 1891 letter that on the evening of Sept. 16, two men from each of the twelve companies were detailed for foraging. Only nine of them returned to the regiment by following morning, so it actually went into action with only 211 officers and men. With a loss of 186 (50 killed, 132 wounded, ad 4 missing), the 1st Texas’ actual casualty percentage was 88%.

Don't know why I didn't post it before, but this is my photo of their monument at Antietam:

gettysburg 172.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)