High Ranking Medical Officer's Kepi

I do not know much about this Kepi, purchased from Cliff Sophia at CSArms, who has become a very good friend over the years. Cliff generally specializes in vintage weapons, but when he acquires a piece of cloth, he will give me a call.

The kepi, obviously has replaced buttons, as it most likely came with staff buttons instead of the infantry officer ones shown. The interior lining is missing, but the sweatband is largely intact. Interesting to me is the subdued officers braid on both the top and sides. After the first year of the war, officers started getting smart and wore smaller rank strap insignia in addition to uniforms more commonly worn by the rank and file. Many line officers would wear light blue trousers and overcoat, so not to standout to an enemy sharpshooter. Braid on hats went from gold to the subdued indigo or black seen on this specimen. The underside of the two piece bill is green, which usually indicates an early war assembly, but the height of the crown at the front seems to say mid to late war. There is a medical staff insignia on the front and a date of 18*2.

Attachments

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Frederick14Va

First Sergeant
The insignia on front is actually "US" in old English letters.... Like most staff officers... Medical officers certainly also wore these... as well as the "MS" insignia ones if it had any at all... Still a very nice addition to the collection...

"US" officers embroidered cap Insignia
us-ms-1.jpg

Officers cap with "US" insignia
us-ms-3.jpg

Medical Officers cap with "MS" insignia
us-ms-2.jpg

The insignia on front is actually "US" in old English letters.... Like most staff officers... Medical officers certainly also wore these... as well as the "MS" insignia ones if it had any at all... Still a very nice addition to the collection...

"US" officers embroidered cap Insignia
View attachment 128192

Officers cap with "US" insignia
View attachment 128193

Medical Officers cap with "MS" insignia
View attachment 128194
Thank you, that certainly clears up the subdued braid on what I thought was a surgeon's kepi. I have other US insignia on officer's caps that is different. I'll have to look more closely and see if the bottom of the U is missing or just discolored.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)