Hidden, and Forgotten: Women Soldiers of the Civil War

Anyway, maybe post war they were even less inclined to come forward?
I think that's one of Shelby's main points as to why so many of these women are unknown, and she also suggests those buried under their male aliases were buried that way because their injuries were mortal and burials were swift, so there would have been little need to undress them in the circumstances where the discovery could be made.

Also, Shelby's book focuses on the State of Mississippi from what I recall, so the women soldiers she talks about were known to have fought there. One of the more famous ones is Albert D.J. Cashier whose name appears on one of the tablets in the Illinois monument at Vicksburg! Originally, I thought it was about women soldiers from Mississippi, so her talk helped to clarify that for me.

One of the ladies that took up arms…

1702085188953.jpeg

Source: Evening Star, February 4, 1865

One of the ladies that took up arms…

View attachment 491915
Source: Evening Star, February 4, 1865
This is apparently Mary Ellen Wise, who has quite a history as a soldier.

DeAnne Blanton and Lauren M. Cook explain that Wise married a month later: "In September 1864, the Daily Morning Chronicle happily reported that she had married fellow soldier Sgt. Lloyd Forehand at Lincoln Hospital in Washington."

Here's a blog post (not mine) giving more details about her! https://merrycoz.wordpress.com/2023/10/27/mary-ellen-wise-soldier-1864/

Back