SIM Game Hi, I would love ideas for my "Battle of Vicksburg" game!

Thank you Belle Montgomery for the nice welcome!

It sounds fun with the reenacting :smile: I think i will add some civilians. It certainly is an interesting story with the shelling and the caves etc. It could be fun to add somehow, if possible :smile:

Many thanks for the warm welcome Erniemac & Mofederal :smile:

It's amazing how welcoming & helpful this forum is! And great to see so much interesting content & discussions :smile: It's really helpful when researching for games.

In case anyone has good ideas for Civil War strategy games, i'd love to hear about them. I'm considering making a game with classic strategy elements (states or tiles on map, units, production etc) but with battles in first-person & command of units like in "Battle of Vicksburg".

Thank you so much Coonewah Creek for sharing the details about the size of the forces. It certainly does seem like alternate course of action could have been possible. Leaving a great defensive position is however not the easiest decision to make :smile:
It certainly could be great for strategy-level game-play, when adding the early campaign to include possible alternate historic events like a major break-out.

Thanks for the good question Gary :smile:

I do hope & and intend to add high rank strategy game-play (map style), so that will probably include possibility of breaking out of Vicksburg. I'm currently making the naval combat update, including new terrains along river. Hopefully i'll also make some further away like the area of the Battle of the Big Black River, hard times area etc. Due to the crazy success of the game (#12 on Android US premium action chart), i'm working overtime to improve and expand the game. So i've put all other projects on hold :smile:

That is exactly what i intent to do Coonewah Creek! I can't really have it be destroyed before the main campaign, so maybe i'll make a small introductary assignment, where the player must change the course of history in that regard.

I'm currently play-testing some naval combat atm with the Union Navy consisting of several City Class ironclads, and the Confederate Navy has (one) CSS Arkansas ram. Both sides has steamer gunboats, but the CSN has more of them to rectify the ironclad imbalance. Mortar barges are available to both sides, bot Union will have the most. These can be towed by Ironclads & steamers. The CSN also have torpedo mines in their arsenal. Troops will be able to enter the vessels, and i might add steamer transports, and maybe coal barges.

It seems like great fun with the combination of the faster, lightly armed ram, vs the slower but more heavily armed City Class ironclads. The artillery of the Confederate strongholds in the area should help offset the larger Union navy.

I plan on making an early assignment where the CSS Arkansas must be sailed passed the Union navy to reach Vicksburg.

Then the naval engagements at the River-bend north of town (Spanish Fort/ Chickasaw Bayou area). The objectives in this could be the Union must position mortar barges to silence the guns of the forts. Confederates must decimate the Union fleet enough for it to retreat upriver.

I want to add more areas (perhaps unconnected to the rest initially), probably Grand Gulf, and other areas from the campaign. This area could have game-play of amphibious landing. Perhaps some of the other engegaments in that area as well. I plan on eventually making a large area surrounding Vicksburg, to allow for strategic high rank game-play.

Keep the ideas coming please :smile:

Thank you!

I have just released the huge update for my Battle of Vicksburg game!
Here are some images of some of the ships and ironclads of the game....

Chickasaw.jpg
YoungsPoint.jpg
DeSoto.jpg
HardTimes.jpg
BigBlackCSA.jpg
JohnsonsPlantation.jpg
TrainUnion.png

Here is a link to the game:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ThoriumGameLab.BattleOfVicksburg&hl=en

I'll be relaxing a bit now, it was quite a bit of work :wink:

EdwardsCSA.jpg

Back