SIM Game Hi, I would love ideas for my "Battle of Vicksburg" game!

Greetings! I'm glad i have found your awesome forum :smile:

I'm a game developer from Denmark currently making a major naval combat update for my game "Battle of Vicksburg" for Android.

It's a strategic first-person shooter with command of units (infantry, cavalry & artillery) set in and around the fortifications of Vicksburg (scale 1:1).

I want to expand the game to also have other areas & battles of the campaign including naval operations...
So far i have added City Class ironclads, CSS Arkansas ram, mortar barges, steamer gunboats/transports, Torpedos (mines).
However i would love some ideas, information and suggestions for historical settings, locations etc.
I also plan to produce a Civil War naval combat game set in the eastern ports & coastal regions.

Thank you for the great forum guys!
Please contact me if you want a free download code :wink:

BattleOfVicksburgMenu.jpg

Thank you Dixie1861 :smile:

I really can't complain so far, it's been very well received!
So much so, that i had to put another game on hold to get back to making the naval combat update first :smile:

I'm very glad to be part of this forum :smile:

Thank you Dixie1861 :smile:

I really can't complain so far, it's been very well received!
So much so, that i had to put another game on hold to get back to making the naval combat update first :smile:

I'm very glad to be part of this forum :smile:
That's so cool! I know that some of the experts on here will give you some very good info. :smile:

That sounds awesome, it's amazing to see how large and dedicated the Civil War community is :smile:
It's really dawned on me that many people seem to want more Civil War games. The theme seems to be under-represented as compared to the great interest in the subject.

Thanks Lusty Murfax :smile:

That's a very interesting question! The answer is no, i'm afraid. However...
I do plan to make that area of the river for the naval combat update. And i would love to add high level strategic gameplay (once player is higher ranked). Generally i do want to add more terrain to cover more of the campaign leading up to the actual siege. Currently tho, the game only have active battlefields on the main fortifications of Vicksburg, so really mostly tactical game-play to be more precise. :smile:

Welcome from Northern Alabama!
However i would love some ideas, information and suggestions for historical settings, locations etc.
One possible variant scenario would involve Pemberton and Johnston acting more boldly and moving to out to attack Grant. Johnston was in the process of assembling his "Army of Relief" and wanted Pemberton to link up with him. Ector’s and McNair’s veteran troops (about 3,000) would be expected to arrive by dusk on the 16th of May. With Pemberton’s potential threat of moving to strike Grant’s rear while he was trying to deal with Johnston to his front at Jackson, the Federal army could have found itself in a dangerous situation had the Confederate commanders acted more boldly. Had Pemberton carried his entire force with him, he would have had about 30,000 men. With Johnston’s 10,000-15,000 troops at Jackson, the total Confederate field forces would at least have had numerical parity with Grant, who was now operating in enemy territory without a line of communication back to his supply base. Just an idea.

Many thanks Coonewah Creek!

That's a very interesting proposition! It does seem like a realistic scenario for sure. Where Pemberton's troops too exhausted (low rations etc) to march please? It could be a way to implement alternative course of action for the campaign. I really want to add strategy level game-play as well. I think the naval combat update will lead in that direction as well.

Hello, neighbor! Welcome to the forum. :smile:

Your game sounds very interesting. Are there any trailers already available to check out? I've enjoyed playing Ultimate General: Civil War but found it was lacking the strategic component. If your game were to include that, it would certainly make playing more interesting. :D

Hi Luinrina, thank you :smile:

I haven't made any video yet. My game is technically a first-person game but with command of infantry, cavalry & artillery (and soon naval combat too). The objective is to defend & attack strongholds by leading the troops yourself. You can order them to follow, stand ground, charge etc. I plan to add more real strategy level game-play soon.
I want to expand the map to include other battles of the campaign, thus enabling strategy elements. I've been considering adding resources as well.
I can send you a download code (if you have an android device) :smile:

Hello and welcome from Missouri. I'm not a gamer, but I'm sure there are numerous gamers here on the forum. Have you considered offering a limited, test version to them? It seems to me they could make really great suggestions after playing around with it for a while.

Greetings Patrick :smile:

I'll gladly give out free download codes so people can play it. People are really friendly and helpful inhere, i'm sure i'll get a lot of help & ideas :smile:
I'm very glad i found this forum, there's even a dedicated section for Vicksburg :D

Welcome and good luck!

If I were to add an idea or two, I'd suggest outfitting the Confederate Army in a uniform that run the spectrum of off white, to dirty brown shell jackets and trousers. I'd also suggest making the armaments an issue by having most, but not all Confederates issued with P1853 Enfields, and most Union troops outfitted with smoothbore M1842 muskets, and percussion conversions of the M1816 musket, (General Grant mentions the problem of the Confederates at Vicksburg better armed than his troops in his memoirs, and how most of the Confederate arms were re-issued to his troops, and their old arms turned into the Quartermaster as Confederate weapons after the surrender). What the gun issue could translate into is the Confederate soldiers rifle fire being more accurate than the fire from the Union troops, just one thing that from history that could be used.

I'd also put a heavy emphasis on trench warfare, and if seeing the troops of either side up close I'd suggest very miniscule amount of kepis, and having most troops on both sides wearing brimmed slouch hats.

But once again good luck!

Back