Hi from this Carlisle Pa Redleg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JoeT

Cadet
Old artilleryman doing some research on the wife's side of the family tree. My ancestors saw Baltimore sometime around 1900. Just spent the day in Gettysburg and again got appreciation for the courage the boys on both sides must have had. Trained to fight a theater-level battle, I was amazed to walk the distance between 20th Maine's left and right flank on Day 2 in less than a minute. Guess I need to adjust my scale.

My first question deals with the 47th PA Regiment. Can someone educate me on the difference between 47th Regiment Infantry and 47th Regiment Militia Infantry.

Thanx

Hey Joe

Welcome Aboard. Were you in Gettysburg yesterday (July 9th? )I was,for the first time in almost a year.

Anyway..to the best of my poor knowledege the militia infantry would have been composed of men,either too old,too young,or not physically able to be in the more strenous volunteer regiments.

Speculation: Maybe a militia unit commanders would have been authorized by their state's
governor or something.

Whereas the volunteer regiments commanders would have been authorized by the President and Congress.

VS..etc

:sabre:

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Hello, Joe, and welcome to the website.

Nice to have another Central Pennsylvanian with us.

Thanks for adding the second definition of Redleg on our Civil War A to Z board.

RaggedRebel really knows his stuff, so I would have a high degree of confidence that his definition of a Redleg as a Kansas guerilla is correct. However, I would think that whenever anyone is reading about the Civil War and comes across the term "Redleg," it's far more likely that the term corresponds to your definition.

floridian

Cadet
New to Civil War

Hello everyone, I have just begun my facination with the civil war. I was told when I was younger that I was named after a civil war general. Has anyone ever heard of a Bradley Tyler Johnson?

floridian

Cadet
thank you

thanks scone been serving since 88 and plan to do so until they put me out.
8thvacav do you know anything about johnson or where i could find info on him? thanks, brad

floridian

Cadet
I know that he was a confederete general and somewhere in our family tree I am related to him (would like to carry his rank haha) but no one in my family ever talked about the war so it never peaked my intrest until I started reading about Robert E. Lee. So any info would be helpful. My family is from both the South and the North and I try to see things from both sides. None of my family in the south owned slaves and still fought in the war so I really am trying to make sense of it. Kinda like the war now. We have a reason for being in Iraq but is it the real reason. I have been there twice and I still am not sure. But I love my Country and would defend it no matter what I am sworn to duty.

Bradely Johnson

Johnson was a Marylander and often considered the best of Maryland's Confederates.

He was born in Frederick Maryland on September 29,1829.

He was a Princeton man,of the class of '49. He commanded the "Maryland Line" of the ANV ,and led both infantry and cavalry soldiers.

His career is rather complex,and I have more in front of me than I can type.

Suffice to say...he's a good ancestor to have. Jackson thought a lot of him.

He was one of those talented citizen soldiers,that came out of North and out of the South,that are usually only remembered by students of the war,like ourselves.

He died on October 5,1903

Source:The Confederate General/Vol.3 William C.Davis,Julie Hoffman eds.

VS..etc

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Floridian, welcome to the website.

If you poke around in the Resource Center a little bit, you'll find a section titled "Officers and Enlisted Men." In that section, there's a link to "Officers of the Blue and Gray." If you click on that, you can find other links that will give complete lists of all the generals who served on both sides during the Civil War, with a brief thumbnail sketch on each one.

Johnson is in there, though the information isn't as extensive as what VS has given you.

JoeT

Cadet
VS, Thanx for the info on militia. I saw (somewhere) that the 47th militia somehow supported the coal mines of PA so not being best used as combat troops would seem consistent (though the coal mines were never a picnic).

At Gettysburg on the 9th also? Was your transport 2 or 4-wheeled?

THanx to everyone for the welcome.

cpl_lewis

Cadet
welcome to the boards. . . also an artillery"man" ........... carlisle's a lovely place, im actually looking at a school there

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Dickinson, perhaps, Corporal?

I have a great-aunt who used to be a professor at Dickinson.

Excellent liberal arts school.

Hey Joe T.

LOL..yes ours was 4 wheels. All the bikes there that day...talked to one very nice couple that were brought there by 2 wheelers.

VS..etc

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
PA Troops

JoeT said:
VS, Thanx for the info on militia. I saw (somewhere) that the 47th militia somehow supported the coal mines of PA so not being best used as combat troops would seem consistent (though the coal mines were never a picnic).
Add my welcome to the list Joe!

It would be well worth your time to dive a little deeper into Pennsylvania troops. I recall reading somewhere that their troops were divided in ways that other states did not. Every state had its Volunteer Infantry Regiments. PA did things differently as you've noted by also having State Troops.

Now, every state also had it's militia (usually manned by older folks less likely to handle successfully the rigors of campaigning), but Pennsylvania's was different -- like three different designations for troops. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it (it was a paragraph in a book on Second Manassas or Antietam or some such) or what exactly it was that I read, but I do remember that PA had a unique system.

Get to the bottom of that system and you'll come closer to answering your own question. BTW, I have a nephew whose paternal GGfather was in either the 47th or 49th PA VI.

Once again, welcome aboard (pun intended),
Ole