Hi, everyone

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
OK, trying to figure out how replies work. They seem to all go in the same window.

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! I was just at the Park this afternoon and stood right by the 14th Iowa's Monument (see picture below) at the edge of Duncan Field and the Hornet's Nest. Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
David
Wow! I have to say that my gg-grandfather's company (a replacement company) was not in service yet at the time of that battle. However, he was a member of the color guard and mentioned "Shiloe" being added to the regimental colors in his diary in 1863.

The 14th Iowa put up a gallant fight on Sunday, April 6th but many of the regiment were captured, I have Colonel Shaw's semi-official report below that he wrote while under parole.
Regards
David
Thank you. I have become a Colonel Shaw fan during my research. The regiment had quite a history to live up to when my ancestor signed up.
How fortunate you are to have a diary! Welcome to the Forum, :wavespin: from Alabama!
Thank you. I treasure it. I originally transcribed it to share with relatives, but I'm hoping it will be of interest to others, too.

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I have a lot to learn about this site, but you all look friendly. Two of my great-great-grandfathers served in the war (14th Iowa Infantry and 184th New York Infantry), and I have the diary one of them kept at Fort Halleck, Kentucky, in 1863. I have transcribed it, and I'm trying to finish a book about his regiment's participation in the Red River Campaign. I will have questions!
Hello and welcome from the Pickett forum. :smile:

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
I have a lot to learn about this site, but you all look friendly. Two of my great-great-grandfathers served in the war (14th Iowa Infantry and 184th New York Infantry), and I have the diary one of them kept at Fort Halleck, Kentucky, in 1863. I have transcribed it, and I'm trying to finish a book about his regiment's participation in the Red River Campaign. I will have questions!
Welcome to the forum from The Trans-Mississippi Department. Sorry I missed your Howdy post on Saturday. My hands were full with granddaughters at the time. :D

Belated welcome from the Ancestry forum! Please be sure to stop by and share questions, information, and stories about your Civil War ancestors. :smile:
Thank you! I have done a lot of family research. I've been following the ancestry posts and watching for ways I could be helpful. And I'm always hopeful I'll pick up new clues and sources related to my own family.

Zella

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Thank you! I have done a lot of family research. I've been following the ancestry posts and watching for ways I could be helpful. And I'm always hopeful I'll pick up new clues and sources related to my own family.
That's great! Joining here helped me so much with my own genealogical research. :smile:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)