Herr Ridge rather than McPherson's Ridge: A Better Place to Start?

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Let me first say that I am not in anyway disparaging Buford's decisions on the first day of the battle--like I could do any better? But the last few times I've been in Gettysburg, I spent a lot of time "ridge hopping," spending time on Herr's Ridge and beyond, as well as McPherson's Ridge, and it got me thinking: if Buford had made Herr Ridge his starting point, instead of McPherson's Ridge, would it have been stronger defensively? Throw out his skirmishers on Knoxlyn Ridge farther out. It doesn't look like it if you are standing on McPherson's, but it seems to me, looking at it from actually on Herr's Ridge, that it would be at least as strong a choice. Does that sound plausible?? Would it have made any difference?

I seem to remember the battle actually opened as you suggested. Buford had Gamble place his videttes on Knoxlyn Ridge where Lt. Marcellus Jones is credited with the opening shot. The videttes fell back to Gamble's line on Herr's Ridge where they held for about an hour before falling back to McPherson's Ridge. Gamble's men were still holding McPherson's Ridge when Reynolds arrived.

I seem to remember the battle actually opened as you suggested. Buford had Gamble place his videttes on Knoxlyn Ridge where Lt. Marcellus Jones is credited with the opening shot. The videttes fell back to Gamble's line on Herr's Ridge where they held for about an hour before falling back to McPherson's Ridge. Gamble's men were still holding McPherson's Ridge when Reynolds arrived.
That was my understanding, Ernie. The "defense in depth" strategy had him place Devin´s and Gamble´s videttes far out, fight a delaying action, and slowly move back to the next point where it would repeat itself.

I wish areas around Gettysburg would be returned to 1863 historically accurate tree and fence lines similar to what the NPS is doing in the park itself. Then you could see what they saw during the opening actions.

I always enter Gettysburg from the west. I always turn on old route 30 near Mister Ed's so I can ride past the Cashtown Inn. As I get closer to Gettysburg and the infamous ridges, I ponder the same question that Pam does.

I always ask myself "What would I do" if I was a decision maker at 1863 Gettysburg. Having the same sight lines as they did would go a long way in determining what I would of done.

Buford's delaying actions on the first day turned out really well for the AoP. I believe it set the stage for the Battle of Gettysburg. If Buford was not successful in his delaying actions, the Confederates could of taken the high ground. If Hancock arrived at the battlefield and the confederates held the high ground, I wonder if he would of ordered a fall back to Pipe Creek per Meade's Pipe Creek circular. ( I believe Hancock was the first General to arrive at Gettysburg who was aware of the Pipe Creek circular).

I always stop at the Buford monument and go over and pat Calef's first shot canon. Without Buford's actions, the three day Battle of Gettysburg may of never happened.

I meant his main line of resistance on Herr's Ridge, not McPherson's. I know that there were Union skirmishers on Knoxlyn. What I was thinking was that vedettes beyond Knoxlyn would give warning of Confederates approaching, skirmishers on Knoxlyn, and the main line on Herr's. Would that not have been a stronger defense with what would've been a classic cavalry delay?

Sorry I misinterpreted your meaning. I can think of a couple reasons off the top of my head.
  1. Buford was aware that Ewell was moving south from the Carlisle area and positioned Devin's brigade to watch for him. By taking the positions he did he was able to keep both Gamble's and Devin's brigades within supporting distance of each other and was able to communicate with them quickly. Moving Gamble further out the Chambersburg Pike lessens that control and increases the chance that one or the other of the brigades could be overwhelmed or cut off.
  2. Reynolds was approaching from the south via the Emmitsburg Road. The further out Chambersburg Pike Gamble moves, the longer it takes Reynolds to reinforce him.

Last edited:
Let me first say that I am not in anyway disparaging Buford's decisions on the first day of the battle--like I could do any better? But the last few times I've been in Gettysburg, I spent a lot of time "ridge hopping," spending time on Herr's Ridge and beyond, as well as McPherson's Ridge, and it got me thinking: if Buford had made Herr Ridge his starting point, instead of McPherson's Ridge, would it have been stronger defensively? Throw out his skirmishers on Knoxlyn Ridge farther out. It doesn't look like it if you are standing on McPherson's, but it seems to me, looking at it from actually on Herr's Ridge, that it would be at least as strong a choice. Does that sound plausible?? Would it have made any difference?

I think he knew that he couldn't last too long against infantry. He set up his main line on McPherson's Ridge because he felt he could delay the confederates only long enough for the Union infantry to get to that position. He knew that if he set up his main line on Herr Ridge a retreat would be more complicated due to having the artillery in position. They would have to limber up in order to retreat. Setting up on McPherson's Ridge gave him another opportunity to force the confederates to make the time-consuming maneuver of going from column into line, meaning more delay.

I think he knew that he couldn't last too long against infantry. He set up his main line on McPherson's Ridge because he felt he could delay the confederates only long enough for the Union infantry to get to that position. He knew that if he set up his main line on Herr Ridge a retreat would be more complicated due to having the artillery in position. They would have to limber up in order to retreat. Setting up on McPherson's Ridge gave him another opportunity to force the confederates to make the time-consuming maneuver of going from column into line, meaning more delay.

^^^^ That

And he did not know whether he was facing a Brigade, a Division or a Corps (or the whole ANV) of Confederates. He was looking for the ANV and he found it. His job now was to sit down and low until Reynolds came, which he pretty much did. If Reynolds was not due for another day or half, pretty sure that Buford would turn down South and give them the info, waiting for orders.

The book and the movie aside :wink:

Back