Heroes Day, Civil War vets, Farragut's flag, Laura Prisk questions.

This photo is from the National Archives.
165-WW-85B-21.jpg

"Ceremonies and Parades - New York City pays first tribute to fallen sons. New York observed it's first "Heroes Day" to commemorate the lives of the soldiers, marines, and sailors who died in France. Mrs. Laura Prisk and Veterans of the Civil War, with the original battle flag of Farrgut [sic], at the Soldiers and Sailors monument on Riverside Drive."

Which is Farragut's original battle flag? What is the flag bearer on the left holding? Laura Prisk is associated with Flag Day? Can we tell which unit the men were with? I couldn't find out anything about Heroes Day. Some men are wearing the Grand Republic of the Army medal. Waiting for your thoughts on this photo! @AndyHall or @Mark F. Jenkins can you help with Farragut's flag?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
Hm... never saw that one before.

For Farragut's battle flag, my money would be on the one held by the veteran at center right, with an eagle finial... that could be a navy jack on the same pole as the flag? Unless the gent just happens to be holding the flag so the union shows that way. I don't recognize him off the bat, but it wouldn't surprise me if he were identifiable. There's an officer behind him to his right who is wearing what might be an admiral's cap and is dressed in a uniform appearing much like the 1898-era officer's uniform.

AndyHall

Colonel
Forum Host
Mike, I honestly have no idea what "the original battle flag of Farragut" might mean. Presumably it is some flag associated with David Farragut, but none of those are either (1) his personal flag officer's flag, or (2) large enough to have been used as a warship ensign.

Last edited:

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
If this posts appears twice, apologize. I just wrote one, hit ' post reply ' and it vanished.

Just wondering if it was someone's attempt at describing that flag. If you're non military, there's a bewildering array of terms to navigate- easy to sound silly. Why I never try.

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
If this posts appears twice, apologize. I just wrote one, hit ' post reply ' and it vanished.

Just wondering if it was someone's attempt at describing that flag. If you're non military, there's a bewildering array of terms to navigate- easy to sound silly. Why I never try.
It's not any easier for someone who's been in the military if they're not dealing with it on a regular basis. I know a garrison flag and a post flag are different sizes, but for the life of me I can never remember which is which-- once I think I know, I start second-guessing myself. (At least I know a storm flag is smaller, which makes sense...)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)