"Here Was Made Our Last and Desperate Stand": The Fight for Seminary Ridge, July 1st, 1863

Ryan, good work. You mention Abner Perrin leading his men forward. Perrin's personal intervention when his brigade was faltering made all the difference, in my opinion. Without his inspired leadership at a critical moment, I wonder whether his brigade would have succeeded in breaking the Federal line. Of course, the irony is that if the First Corps remnants had held against Perrin in the vicinity of the Seminary, their chances of successfully passing through town would have been greatly diminished, given that Early and Rodes were moving to shut off that escape route.

Ryan, good work. You mention Abner Perrin leading his men forward. Perrin's personal intervention when his brigade was faltering made all the difference, in my opinion. Without his inspired leadership at a critical moment, I wonder whether his brigade would have succeeded in breaking the Federal line. Of course, the irony is that if the First Corps remnants had held against Perrin in the vicinity of the Seminary, their chances of successfully passing through town would have been greatly diminished, given that Early and Rodes were moving to shut off that escape route.

Thanks Tom.

I entirely agree with you in regards to Perrin. Without him riding to the front of the line and personally leading his men forward, I'm not sure if the South Carolinians pass much beyond the fence line. Another interesting question is what does Lane do if Perrin is stopped? If we're talking about any other battle, Lane likely moves forward but he was very apprehensive and slow at Gettysburg, generally out of character for him.

But you are correct in that if the First Corps doesn't leave when they do, they are likely going to be cut off from Cemetery Hill, at least through town.

Ryan

Back