Stonewall Here Jackson was wounded and got the title of Stone Wall

Mike Serpa

Major
Plaque attached to tree "Here Jackson was wounded and got the title of Stone Wall, July 21, 1861"
3c16988u.jpg

LOC #3C16988 - c1910 Apr. 29.
From wikipedia - During the battle [First Battle of Bull Run (First Manassas)], Jackson displayed a gesture common to him and held his left arm skyward with the palm facing forward – interpreted by his soldiers variously as an eccentricity or an entreaty to God for success in combat. His hand was struck by a bullet or a piece of shrapnel and he suffered a small loss of bone in his middle finger. He refused medical advice to have the finger amputated.

Was he really wounded here? Or is this marker a just a sign of respect? Is this tree still living?

(A sign is on the post to the right but is unreadable even on the largest size photo.)

That tree and the surrounding ones as well as their wooden plaques are all long, long gone now

dsc03568-jpg.jpg

They got replaced around the time the Battlefield Park was created after WWII by signage like this but most of those seem to have also gone; this was the only one I noticed when I was there last summer but I remember several more of them.

Back