Henry Wentz role- tantalizing mystery of Gettysburg?

Hi those on this thread- I'm happy to add to your mystery!! Henry Wentz had more to contend with then his Dad's (John) home! John Wentz' daughter, Anna Maria Wentz married Jacob Beamer, who had a farm further south on Emmitsburg road. One of their sons was my great grandfather, Henry Harrison Beamer, (a corporal in Co. K) who was front and center in the 1st Penn Reserves on the afternoon of July 2nd, pushing the confederates back from Devils Den - Little Round Top, as part of Mc Candless' advance. So we have not only son shooting over/around dad's house, we have Henry shooting towards his nephew's position. Wow.

The manuscript is finished. I've read every word of it. To the extent that answers exist--and not all do--your questions will be answered in the book. I expect the book to be published some time next year. And it's quite good indeed.

FYI, I preordered this book on Amazon. Tom McMillan has worked for the Pittsburgh Penguins (go Pens). I saw him on PCN talking about Flight 93. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks to Eric for providing the heads up.

"Gettysburg Rebels: Five Native Sons Who Returned to Fight as Confederate Soldiers ".

When I observe the area, I try to imagine what it would look like if the Wentz house were there. I have to keep reminding myself that the sight lines would be different. Same with the Bliss farm. It would be cool if replicas of those buildings were made and placed in their original locations.

Hi those on this thread- I'm happy to add to your mystery!! Henry Wentz had more to contend with then his Dad's (John) home! John Wentz' daughter, Anna Maria Wentz married Jacob Beamer, who had a farm further south on Emmitsburg road. One of their sons was my great grandfather, Henry Harrison Beamer, (a corporal in Co. K) who was front and center in the 1st Penn Reserves on the afternoon of July 2nd, pushing the confederates back from Devils Den - Little Round Top, as part of Mc Candless' advance. So we have not only son shooting over/around dad's house, we have Henry shooting towards his nephew's position. Wow.

That's crazy! You wonder how surreal it was for men like Beamer? Gettysburg was home- they must have been so familiar with all these places we now associate with carnage and death. Thanks very much for bringing his story to add- and welcome to the forum!

One of our members, a Gettysburg resident, requested a thread dedicated to citizens of the town during and after the battle- love to have Henry Harrison's story there along with Anna Maria and Jacob. I'll bump it, if you're interested.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I do find it a tantalizing mystery.

I understand that in the middle of a battle it is not practical to poll soldiers to see if anyone is familiar with the land. However during a long march through unfamiliar land or when troops are resting and staging for battle, I would put out word that if anyone is familiar with the land to identify themselves.

If I were an officer walking in unfamiliar territory, I would have standing orders that anyone who knows the land to be standing right at my side.

I am really looking forward to reading this book.

Isn't it amazing how families just trying to live normal lives have been immortalized forever by this three day battle. I get goose bumps when I hear the family names Culp, Rose, Sherfy, Wentz, Brian, Leister, Trostle, McPherson, Weickert, Klinger, Rummel, Bliss, Codori, and the others.

When I observe the area, I try to imagine what it would look like if the Wentz house were there. I have to keep reminding myself that the sight lines would be different. Same with the Bliss farm. It would be cool if replicas of those buildings were made and placed in their original locations.
Chaos%20on%20E-burg%20Road%20Scene%2010%20x%2024_zpsqg8dlit9.jpg

Dennis Morris
Montour Falls NY

Last edited:
James N, I like lively conversation here. My goal was not to be controversial and I fully understand and appreciate your comments. Harry Pfanz who has undertaken more research than I will ever do spefically brought this subject up in his book. Those are his words, not mine.

I did a Wentz search before I posted this thread and I could not find anything similar. However I did find down in the similar posts a thread from 2015 which I didn't recall or see (thanks to Bee for her guidance on it).

Eric Wittenberg had a post in that 2015 thread that said:

Interesting that you should raise this issue. My friend Tom McMillan is working on a book on the four Gettysburg residents who fought for the Confederacy during the Battle of Gettysburg. While Wesley Culp is the most obvious of the four, Wentz plays a significant role in the story. Tom has not found anything to suggest that Wentz hid the fact that he was a Gettysburg native, and, in fact, is surprised that he was not used as a guide by Longstreet on this way to the battlefield.

Sorry for posting a duplicate Wentz mystery thread but I thought it was worthy of discussion. Hopefully Tom McMillan publishes his book in hope of further defining the topic.

Older post on same subject.
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-henry-wentz-mystery.119362/
His book came out in June of 2017. It is a great read.

Back