Henry R. Clift, 111th New York Infantry, Wounded at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I thought I would share this cabinet card from my collection of Henry R. Clift, Company G, 111th New York Infantry, who was wounded 153 years ago today at the Battle of Gettysburg:

SCAN0172_zpspuhrotmx.jpg

In the picture Clift is wearing a Grand Army of the Republic Reunion medal from the 36th Annual Encampment, held at Washington, D.C., October 9 - 10, 1902.

I found a brief article written by Clift in The National Tribune, November 20, 1902, in which he describes how he was wounded at Gettysburg:

"WOUNDED AT GETTYSBURG
Henry R. Clift, of Middletown, Vt., writes that he was a member of Co. G, 111th N.Y. The officers of his company were Capt. Husk, First Lieut. Brinkerhoff and Second Lieut. Hueston. Comrade Clift was wounded at Gettysburg, July 3, and was taken to the hospital at Newark, N.J., and later was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps and was assigned to Guard duty at Clifburn Barracks for a time and was company clerk for Capt. Tuthill. Comrade Clift is anxious to know to what corps his regiment belonged at Gettysburg. His remembrance is that the commander was Brig. Gen. Alexander Hayes."

I also found a second article written by Clift in The National Tribune, May 5, 1904:

"Hon. Henry R. Clift of Irvington, N.J, who served in Co. G, 111th N.Y., has a souvenir of the battle of Gettysburg that he values highly, although it incites recollections of pain. It is a gnarled, scored and twisted rifleball with which he was shot July 3, while he was on the skirmish line. He has already had a skin scratch on the left shoulder, a bullet having cut through the coat and shirt to the skin without really wounding him. That was in the morning. IN the afternoon a bullet penetrated his right hand, passed up the arm, scraping the bone, and emerged above the elbow, its force spent, and lodged in his sleeves. The fellow who fired it couldn't get it back, even if the "proved property and paid charges."

SCAN0173_zpsv4caa5gq.jpg

Although both article state Clift was wounded on July 3, his New York Civil War abstract states he was wounded on July 2.

Back