Henry Clay's Favorite Dish

nitrofd

Retired User
This recipe was published in "The Bluegrass Cookbook" published in 1904.
The recipe below is written by Mrs.Henry Clay

Have the butcher extract the bone from the rump roast and take a few stitches with his needle to keep it in good shape.Place the beef in an iron pot with a tight cover; 2 cloves stuck in each,and a pod of red pepper,salt,a little allspice,and 2 carrots.Pour enough boiling water over the beef to nearly cover it;let it come to a hard boil,then set it back tightly covered to where it will just simmer for 6 hours.Then place the beef on a hot platter,strain it's liquor,and skim every particle of grease from it.Have ready 1/2 teaspoon of sugar,browned in an iron pan,pour the liquor over it and thicken with a little flour and water.Pour the gravy,which should be quite brown and thick over the beef.Slice the carrots,which place on and around the beef.

The roast does sound good. If any of you are ever in Lexington, Ky. a must to see is Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate.
I looked at some of the sites for Ashland.they give tours Tuesday thru Saturday and they are closed in January and holidays.the tour takes about an hour but they recommend you spend an hour and half there to explore on your own.

I like the sound of the recipe, but I cannot bring myself to boil meat. I just have a thing against it. It goes back a long time, when I was younger. I know it is how you make roast usually. Although I broil mine instead. I guess I just like to be different, just never could get around the word boil. it seems wrong although it isn't. Thanks for posting this @nitrofd, I would have to cook it your way to honor the correct recipe. I don't like to boil meat, but I used to boil ham once in awhile, after I started to run out of ways to cook it. I used to buy a ham every other week in my younger days.

ashland-the-henry-clay.jpg

back-side-of-mansion.jpg

Ashland. Front and back view. It was damaged by the New Madrid Earthquake in 1813. Torn down in 1854. The rebuilt mansion was completed in 1857. Many of the features of the house were reincorporated into the rebuilt house. A house built here in 1860 is said to look like Clay's original 1806 home.

com-capelacroix.jpg

The home in Cape, now used as a resident center in an apartment complex in town. I used to have photos of the interior, and all of the exterior. The back side of the house has artillery damage from the battle of Cape Girardeau in 1863. The house is said to be based on the original 1806 Ashland.

Back