Henderson's Scouts

KSTinMB

Cadet
Among the papers of my gr3grandfather Jacob Vogh (1816? - ????) of Vicksburg are these three items. I am interested in assessments of their authenticity and where I can get more information. Thx,
2019-12-02-0020 Jacob Vogh 15-Day Pass.jpg

Canton Miss April 4th 1863 ?
Jacob Vogh has been accepted
as a member of my Compy
of Scouts and is hereby granted
fifteen days in which
to get him a horse & prepare
for service.
Thos Henderson
Cmdg Ind’t Scouts

Last edited:
2019-12-02-0019 Jacob Vogh Letter of Recommendation.jpg

Meridian, April 13, 1863 ?
To
Mr H Cordell
“ Geo Messenger
“ Nelson Warren
“ Stephen Osborn
“ Robt Horne
“ J.W. Farr
“ Bryant Askew
“ H.P. Bush
R.E. Stratton
Gentlemen,
This will be presented
to you by my friend Mr. Jacob
Vogh of Henderson’s Scouts, to
whom I would beg to Introduce to
your favorable acquaintance. My
acquaintance with Mr. Vogh has
been of Long Standing and I
cheerfully Recommend him to
your Kind Considerations
being perfectly Reliable in Every
sense of the Word. Any attention
or favors Extended to him whilst
in your Country will be thankfully
and duly appreciated & oblige.
Yours Very Truly
O. H. Perry

Last edited:
2019-12-02-0020 Jacob Vogh pass.jpg

Gainesville Ala May 20th 1865
Jacob Vogh of Company Henderson's Scouts
unattached order of Sec'y War, C.S.A., residing in
Vicksburg Miss having been, with the approval of
the proper authorities, paroled, is permitted to return to his home, not to be dis-
turbed by the United States authorities, so long as he observes his parole and
the laws in force where he may reside.
By order
Major General E. R. S. Canby, U.S.A.
/s/ E. S. Dennis
Brig Gen Vols Cour for U.S. ( Brigadier General of Volunteers Courier for U.S. - or U. G. ?)

Last edited:
Among the papers of my gr3grandfather Jacob Vogh (1816? - ????) of Vicksburg are these three items. I am interested in assessments of their authenticity and where I can get more information. Thx,View attachment 373046

Canton Miss April 4th 186?
Jacob Vogh has been accepted
as a member of my Compy
of Scouts and is hereby granted
fifteen days in which
to get him a horse & prepare
for service.
Thos Henderson
Cmdg Ind’t Scouts
Any major auction house should be able to give you a free appraisal.
Leftyhunter

View attachment 373049
Gainesville Ala May 20th 1865
Jacob Vogh of Company Henderson's Scouts
unattached order of Sec'y War, C.S.A., residing in
Vicksburg Miss having been, with the approval of
the proper authorities, paroled, is permitted to return to his home, not to be dis-
turbed by the United States authorities, so long as he observes his parole and
the laws in force where he may reside.
By order
Major General E. R. L. Canby, U.S.A
/s/ E. S. Dennis
? ? ? ? for U.S.
Brig (adier) Gen (eral) Vols (Volunteers) C????? For U. S.
Dennis was the US officer "on the spot" signing Vaugh's parole.

Interestingly, Jacob Vough's surrender document lists his residence as Canton, Ms, not lined through, like on his parole.

As you asked for an assessment of these documents' authenticity, not their value, I can tell you that they are, of course. 100 % authentic. I would imagine you have no interest in selling them, and I have no idea of their monetary value.

Both of the first two documents are from 1863.

Some years ago, I was able to read a number of reports and messages to and from both Hendersons and their scouts. I could not make zerox copies and this was before today's point and shoot digital cameras, but I did take extensive notes.
I have no recollection of seeing your ancestor's name, but my interest was focused on February, March, and early April, 1863, so I might not have seen his name.

Let me know if I can help you.

View attachment 373048
Meridian, April 13, 186?
To
Mr H Cordell
“ Geo Messenger
“ Helion Warren
“ Stephen Osborn
“ Robt Horne
“ J.W. Farr
“ Bryant Askew
“ H.P. Bush
R.E. Stratton
Gentlemen,
This will be presented
to you by my friend Mr. Jacob
Vogh of Henderson’s Scouts, to
whom I would beg to Introduce to
your favorable acquaintance. My
acquaintance with Mr. Vogh has
been of Long Standing and I
cheerfully Recommend him to
your Kind Considerations
being perfectly Reliable in Every
sense of the Word. Any attention
or favors Extended to him whilst
in your Country will be thankfully
and duly appreciated & oblige.
Yours Very Truly
H. Perry
I believe that the third name at the top of the April 13, 1863 document is Nelson Warren.

The three documents together have a retail value of about $200 on eBay. Perhaps more if it included research on Henderson Scouts, Thomas Henderson, and/or Jacob Vough. What information exactly are you looking for @KSTinMB? (I am sure there is a lot of information out there in Googleland that pertains to each of your documents.)

Very interesting documents. Due to the fact that Henderson's Scouts rode with Gen Forrest and was present at the surrender I would put the value a lot higher.

Thanks for all of the responses. I should have made clear that I am not interested in selling or even a $ value, rather whether being one of Henderson's Scouts was credible. These documents are part of genealogical research.

I have made several of the suggested corrections to the transcriptions, Thx.

Jacob Vogh (also Vough) was born about 1816, which would have made him 45 at the start of the war. He owned a farm and several businesses and two or three dozen slaves, so was relatively well-off. Would the Scouts have taken on a 45-year-old volunteer?
He had a son, Jacob Washington Vogh, who was 22 in 1861, also in Vicksburg and may have been the one in the Scouts.

The elder Jacob Vogh shot and killed his wife Priscilla in 1854 in a drunken rage after losing a lawsuit to her over ownership of a slave. He broke jail at least once and as late as November 1859 his case was still open, but I have not found the resolution. If he had been found not guilty and released, would he still have been taken into the Scouts?

Jacob Vogh - https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/164701493/person/292149693047/facts

Two articles on E.S. Dennis

Last edited:
The 2nd letter is signed "O. H. Perry". Oliver H Perry resided in Meridian, Mississippi in 1863 and was a very influential citizen of the town.
He was known as "Colonel" Perry as he had commanded the local militia prior to the war. Vogh probably showed Perry the Henderson letter of a week earlier. After reading what Thomas Henderson wrote, Perry in the 2nd letter probably wanted to help Vogh by identifying and soliciting other influential people in the Meridian area who he thought could help Vogh secure the horse and other equipment he would need as a Henderson scout. That is to say, the Perry letter is a letter of recommendation that Vogh could take around to the names listed in search of help.

Knowing that the father Jacob Vogh was a murderer, jailbreaker and about 45 years old I would have guessed that it was son Jacob Vogh age 22 that became a Henderson scout. However, Perry who is an old man (died in 1868) states in his letter that he knew Jacob Vogh a long time and had a long standing relationship. This suggests that its the elder Vogh who sought enlistment. However, I'm going to stand by my initial feeling that it is his son Jacob who is the scout in question.

Wow - these are fascinating, as is the history you know of your family. I don't think age was a barrier to enlistment - many men older than 45 signed up to serve. As to whether the, ahem, incident with his wife would have prejudiced people against him.. - hard to say. I think in general men got a lot more leeway for violent actions in the 19th century than they do today.

Hello, back again. In an old, recently "discovered" family bible I found a newspaper obituary for the younger Jacob Washington Vogh. It confirms that he, the son, was in the Henderson Scouts. I don't know from which newspaper the article was taken.
I have still not found any further information about when and whether the elder Jacob Washington ever stood trial for the murder of his wife. Still looking. This link will take you to Jacob Washington Vogh in my Ancestry tree. Jacob Washington Vogh
Thanks again for all of the helpful and interesting information.
Jacob Washington Vogh (1840-1893) Obituary.jpg

Back