Help with short sleeves? Patterns with short sleeve bodices that are not ballgowns?

MamitaT

Cadet
ZZZ.jpg

I want to make a bodice like this, with the short sleeves but I can't find a suitable pattern and I am new to sewing, so I will def. need a pattern. I saw this somewhere online and I fell in love with the sleeves. I wouldn't know how to modify a pattern yet, so I need something the same or similar.I need a short sleeve bodice pattern that is not ballgown. Either adult or late teen would do. Can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it! :confused:

View attachment 4461

I want to make a bodice like this, with the short sleeves but I can't find a suitable pattern and I am new to sewing, so I will def. need a pattern. I saw this somewhere online and I fell in love with the sleeves. I wouldn't know how to modify a pattern yet, so I need something the same or similar.I need a short sleeve bodice pattern that is not ballgown. Either adult or late teen would do. Can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it! :confused:

Mamita, good to have you with us on the site. You might send a PM (Private Message) to "Hannah", who is experienced in that type of dress-making, from what I understand. She might be able to advise you.

Lee

Oh thank you! I will do that, I just have to find her. I am still trying to figure out how to navigate the forum lol

Make friends with the "Past Patterns" line of patterns... the pieces are some-what interchangeable... SO...

Take the bodice of #702 and skirt of #700, but add the sleeves of the ball gown bodice #704 and use the chemise pattern sleeve for the puffed short under-sleeve #707 . To get the bateaux neckline placement, use the yoke neckline piece from the chemise pattern as a drawing line on your bodice pieces. If this dress is for a teen, it should close in the back... so remove the fold over facing and place the front bodice pieces on the fold... on the back bodice pieces, add a fold-over facing.

I would highly recommend to an adult woman that wants "something cooler" to look at drape-y pagoda sleeves in a fine, sheer cotton (under-sleeves are optional for sheers) and a vee neckline rather than the short sleeves and bateaux neckline that is rather more associated with teens and girls.

What a good idea! I may be able to do that =D Thank you! I am most certainly an adult woman as I am 26, but I get mistaken for a teen all the time and have always wanted a chance to wear a teen/young adult dress. Maybe that is weird, but I just need to get it out of my system. I am new to reenacting and sewing and I never had a chance to wear all the beautiful dresses the little girls and young ladies wear, and since I can pass for younger I would like to get away with it at least once or twice. At my first and only reenactment I wore a dress I had bought, but I spent most of my time hanging with the older teens, so I felt a bit out of place in the adult dress. I think I will be ordering several patterns soon and playing around. I appreciate your help in telling me what to use from each pattern. Also, the girl that I saw this dress on is an older teen or maybe 20/21. And since I pass for that age all the time and I am single, I know I could get away with it. I do want a sheer dress eventually though! I have a passion for historical fashion and to be honest I want almost every historical dress I lay my eyes on lol

Elaine, the official language of this board is English. (Although I would suppose that some speaking in code is allowable.)

Mr. Ole- I'm not sure how to take your comment. I used common sewing and fashion terms that are easily referenced by a quick search of your favorite dictionary or search engine. As a tailor and dress-maker (by profession), yeah... I get to use some jargon occasionally to other needlework professionals and enthusiasts.

Bodice= top of a dress, covers the torso
Skirt= bottom of a dress, covers the ...ahem... limbs
Sleeves= covers the arms
Puff Sleeves= ones that make a puff, gathered into a thin band... like the ones in the picture
Under-sleeves= two components to the sleeve, one over and one under, we're referencing the ones under (they're white in this case)
Chemise= innermost women's undergarment, covering the torso
Yoke= fitted piece at the large, low neckline
Bateaux Neckline= the wide, shallow opening at the neck (like the one depicted)
Fold-over Facing= extra fabric added at the opening to be folded back and stitched down to form a facing to reinforce closures
Drape-y= shape that flows easily
Pagoda Sleeve= sleeve with wide opening at the wrist that when the unprocessed piece is laid flat has the general shape of a pagoda building
Vee Neckline= neckline opening that forms a "v" shape at center front
Pattern= in this case, the pieces which are used as a guide for cutting correctly sized and shaped pieces from which to make a garment

I understand every single word Elaine said. I don't get you guys. :smile:

Elaine will appreciate my consternation at the Texas 4-H State Fashion Show when one of the commentators consistently pronounced "bodice" as "bo-dice" (think fuzzy things hanging in a car's windshield) and taffeta as "ta-feta" (ta as in taps -- feta as in cheese). :smile: After that I sneakily did away with reading commentary and went to music only in future years. :smile:

No offense intended, Elaine. A lame attempt at humor. The nomenclature is not something I'm familiar with, and rightly sew. (EEEEEEEwwww.)

Back