Help with "photo" of a Merrill order paid by customer

I couldn't find any better place to post this, so hope it's okay. I just received a Merrill, Thomas & Co. customer order and payment received. Please anyone who has better cursive experience and abbreviations of materials & goods sold. Looking for thoughts on Freeman's first and middle name initials, couple of abbreviated materials, I figured out "Received 'Pay't'" for payment, then no clue who X.X. Merrill is. J(ames).H. Merrill or his eldest son William (not sure middle name) would be the only two I think could have been signator. William was born in 1842, and second son Charles was born in 1846. William was mentioned as involved in the company in an 1864 newspaper article/write-up of their new manufactory at North & Belvidere. Can't be initials for his wife Martha Ann, and his dad Jeremiah, who passed in 1856, couldn't be the one either. Middle initial looks like an S. Any help much appreciated. What's Fair Lawn Powder? Thanks, Eric.

157_0535 - highlighted unknowns.jpg

'2 Kegs Fair Lawn Powder' - Fair Lawn Mills at Hazardville, Conn. was a gunpowder making company, eventually absorbed by DuPont de Nemours.
The next line looks like Hat Caps - tophat musket caps?

the last line looks like 'Eley ditto' - Eley Brothers were a British brand of caps, eventually absorbed by Kynoch, which became part of the Imperial Chemical Industries conglomerate. For many years I.C.I. was one of the leading British industrials, and its stock price was a bellwether of the economy.

'2 Kegs Fair Lawn Powder' - Fair Lawn Mills at Hazardville, Conn. was a gunpowder making company, eventually absorbed by DuPont de Nemours.

the last line looks like 'Eley ditto' - Eley Brothers were a British brand of caps, eventually absorbed by Kynoch, which became part of the Imperial Chemical Industries conglomerate. For many years I.C.I. was one of the leading British industrials, and its stock price was a bellwether of the economy.
Impressed!

Initials appear to be J.C.

The date I believe to be 9 and like we all do and got confused in early January and put the last year by mistake and wrote over it.
Thought the bottom right was Paymt- as in recd payment

The last bit I thought was J.S. Look at the J in January and I think you’ll see the the parallel.
( As for the actual items, I’d best not speculate as I’m not up on powder and guns and others will know much better.)

That is a diadem of knowledge you shared. Thank you.
Lubliner.

Could have been that his brother or other relative worked in his companies. I need to get back onto ancestry.com and check out his family tree from his father/mother Jeremiah and Phoebe.

Back