Help with metal clasp

I was relic hunting yesterday and dug this metal clasp. A fellow detectorist who knows Colonial and Civil War artifacts told me she has found a couple of these on Civil War battlefields; however she was not certain of the use. I was told by someone else that this is part of a saddle bag clasp. This was found in an area from which I've dug numerous buttons that date from the early 19th century. Any help on identifying this piece is appreciated.
IMG_7832.JPG

IMG_7833.JPG

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ucvrelics

Captain
Forum Host
I was relic hunting yesterday and dug this metal clasp. A fellow detectorist who knows Colonial and Civil War artifacts told me she has found a couple of these on Civil War battlefields; however she was not certain of the use. I was told by someone else that this is part of a saddle bag clasp. This was found in an area from which I've dug numerous buttons that date from the early 19th century. Any help on identifying this piece is appreciated. View attachment 315766
View attachment 315767
From two contacts on Treasurenet and one from a local detectorist site here in Maryland came good information on the use of this piece. It is a period clasp closure for any number of 18th century carrying cases that could have included saddle bag, satchel, carpet bag, or large book, which is why relic hunters have found these on old home sites and battlefields.

DixieRifles

1st Lieutenant
I was told by someone else that this is part of a saddle bag clasp.
It does look like a clasp that is riveted to the end of a strap. But the side view seems to who a split or a slice into it. Too thin to insert a piece of leather. Instead the brass clasp would be riveted to the top of a leather strap. Maybe that is the brass forging splitting apart.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!