What is this? Help with Identifying a Shell

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
So again at the expense of sounding ignorant, I still dont quite understand the concept of the "blind shell", was this a sort of practice shell?

My shell has a threaded opening at the tip, if it was a blind shell, there still would have been a plug threaded in the opening correct?

This is why I always thought it was a shell that did not explode and was de-armed.
No, it was used more like a bolt or solid projectile and used a great deal more for striking than for blasting. The threads would have had a brass plug secured by a brass pin in the side of the nose and as far as I know, none of these shells had powder in them. One idea behind the blind shell was that the friction of the shell passing through a target would have caused enough friction to ignite the powder, but that sounds rather far fetched to me and from that standpoint these rounds could have been considered a failure and never used, but Admiral Dahlgren was a powerful and well connected officer. Regardless, you still have a great projectile with an even better story behind it. The idea behind the Dahlgren Boat Howitzers was that they were going to be used on landing expeditions or as a light deck gun onboard ship. Photo LoC
18028_10205974531496114_1079424647452120599_n.jpg

Last edited:

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
So again at the expense of sounding ignorant, I still dont quite understand the concept of the "blind shell", was this a sort of practice shell?

My shell has a threaded opening at the tip, if it was a blind shell, there still would have been a plug threaded in the opening correct?

This is why I always thought it was a shell that did not explode and was de-armed.

You are correct. I would love to see the nose end as I'm sure its like the one I posted above. These projectiles were cast with a cavity, the casting sand was usually left in the core, unfinished hole was plugged with a small brass plug, giving it the effect of a light bolt. This was probably intended as a transitional measure to test the pattern, the shell could be drilled and fitted for fuzes at a later time. These "blind shells" never had an explosive charge, the black substance sometimes found inside is foundry sand from the mold for the core.

rebracer

Sergeant
I dont have the shell currently in my possession, but in the future it will become mine when it is passed down.
I will try and get a photo of the nose end when I am around it again next time as I am curious as well to inspect it based on what yall have told me.