Help with ancestor in 16th Alabama...

farrargirl

First Sergeant
Baldwin County, on the Alabama Gulf Coast
I need to call in the pro’s on this one. Before I list one of my Stallworth relatives as being KIA ( as Ancestry members have), I need some sound documentation. This is what I have on Lieut. John Crosby Stallworth. Yes, I did find a little unit out of Conecuh County which was a part of the 16th ( unaware of this previously). What possible battle was there in Tupelo, MS. 31 January, 1862? I did find some actions around the Vicksburg/Chickasaw Bayou area during this period.
Any assistance appreciated during his brief 2 month stint with the 16th......
64552F53-4C45-485A-94D0-B96DE3FF4DDC.jpeg

FF5829CE-7B21-4E60-AC4E-FE8D30AF647A.jpeg

ps..I have thoroughly searched fold3 records in all referenced units . Nothing but 16th.

another ps....Could this possibly be a uniform from the University of Alabama Cadets? Strange to enlist at 18 as a 1st Lieut, right?
Thanks, friends...
Marty

What source do you have for the claim that he died in battle in Tupelo? I don't know of anything that early that would have gotten someone killed in action, certainly not in Tupelo proper. Or even in the wider area that you might nowadays call Tupelo. My ancestor was in the Battle at King's Creek, which is now in Tupelo. But that took place well over a year later. And the Battle at Harrisburg, now called the Battle of Tupelo, was in 1864.

But he could well have died at Tupelo as troops were camped there a lot during the war. Best I could think that would be KIA would be skirmish with a scouting party that maybe set off from Tupelo, or brought him back there wounded and he died from those wounds while in Tupelo.

He resigned and then was 1st Lt AAG of the 33rd Alabama Inf. According his records he died in Evergreen Ala. There is great info on this unit here.

Attachments

• Stallworth, John C (20).pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
He resigned and then was 1st Lt AAG of the 33rd Alabama Inf. According his records he died in Evergreen Ala. There is great info on this unit here.
Thank you, and I bow to you, Lt. Colonel and Relic Hunter ....
I could see no connection to his assignment to the 33rd, a Greenville unit from Butler County. In reading the material in the ADAH file, I think I know the circumstances.
Paid to mother through his last day in service: 30 June, 1862. ( letter from Regiment Colonel )
Cemetery marker in Evergreen stated died in 31 July, 1862:

FCC8F208-DFA9-4F5D-B426-58F3D1D6C861.jpeg

I had decided he probably became ill and came home and died a month later. Until:
89574F01-A2DA-452E-912B-F0F2FB0993B4.jpeg

I will ponder on all this. thank you so very much :+))

Thanks. I don't think he died in Tupelo either.

What source do you have for the claim that he died in battle in Tupelo? I don't know of anything that early that would have gotten someone killed in action, certainly not in Tupelo proper. Or even in the wider area that you might nowadays call Tupelo. My ancestor was in the Battle at King's Creek, which is now in Tupelo. But that took place well over a year later. And the Battle at Harrisburg, now called the Battle of Tupelo, was in 1864.

But he could well have died at Tupelo as troops were camped there a lot during the war. Best I could think that would be KIA would be skirmish with a scouting party that maybe set off from Tupelo, or brought him back there wounded and he died from those wounds while in Tupelo.
Many thanks for the input! After reading the great data from @ucvrelics , and responding, I don’t know where in the world he died!

I need to call in the pro’s on this one. Before I list one of my Stallworth relatives as being KIA ( as Ancestry members have), I need some sound documentation. This is what I have on Lieut. John Crosby Stallworth. Yes, I did find a little unit out of Conecuh County which was a part of the 16th ( unaware of this previously). What possible battle was there in Tupelo, MS. 31 January, 1862? I did find some actions around the Vicksburg/Chickasaw Bayou area during this period.
Any assistance appreciated during his brief 2 month stint with the 16th......
View attachment 379750

View attachment 379751

ps..I have thoroughly searched fold3 records in all referenced units . Nothing but 16th.

another ps....Could this possibly be a uniform from the University of Alabama Cadets? Strange to enlist at 18 as a 1st Lieut, right?
Thanks, friends...
Marty
So incredibly young. I just learned my ancestor was only 19 when he was killed at Shiloh and part of this same battalion. (Company E, he was a private)

Back