Help with a Relative Jacob Calvin Eller

uaskme

1st Lieutenant
My cousin researched Jacob. Hoping Fold 3 would have more info on him. He was in the 58th NC. Middle name Calvin. There is a Calvin Eller who appears to be 2 years older. Also a Calvin Jr.

On the notes section Jacob is listed as Deserted for about 6 weeks before he returned. After he returned he was Detached, Michael C Hardy’s term as a wood tenderer, to Knoxville. This was 08/01/63. The next month, the 58th were sent south and were part of the AOTs concentration of forces which led up to Chickamauga. Notes says he Returned on 04/30/64. Day before the second battle for Dalton and the beginning of the ATL Campaign. However, it doesn’t say when he left. Knoxville was a lot closer to Ash County NC than North Georgia.

Long story short. Trying to find out if Jacob fought at Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. I know where the 58th was. Don’t know for sure where Jacob Eller was.

Thanks for all and any Help.
AD830B0B-1EF0-4954-A828-39374F89D341.jpeg

My cousin researched Jacob. Hoping Fold 3 would have more info on him. He was in the 58th NC. Middle name Calvin. There is a Calvin Eller who appears to be 2 years older. Also a Calvin Jr.

On the notes section Jacob is listed as Deserted for about 6 weeks before he returned. After he returned he was Detached, Michael C Hardy’s term as a wood tenderer, to Knoxville. This was 08/01/63. The next month, the 58th were sent south and were part of the AOTs concentration of forces which led up to Chickamauga. Notes says he Returned on 04/30/64. Day before the second battle for Dalton and the beginning of the ATL Campaign. However, it doesn’t say when he left. Knoxville was a lot closer to Ash County NC than North Georgia.

Long story short. Trying to find out if Jacob fought at Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. I know where the 58th was. Don’t know for sure where Jacob Eller was.

Thanks for all and any Help.View attachment 392780
Screenshot (16).png

A 3 x 1st cousin served in Company E of the 58th. He was wounded at Chickamauga.

Have you researched the Eller Chronicles? Not sure if all the info is correct, but it does seem to mention your Jacob several times throughout the research. Link is located below:

Found these records filed under Miscellaneous.
Do you know if the regiment was at or near McClellanville, SC when Jacob was detailed to wood working?
1614658115941.png
1614658220921.png
1614658284601.png

1614659925168.png
1614658405701.png

EDIT TO ADD: Yep, those records are for your Jacob Eller of the 58th NC. See the signature on the Requisition for Clothing and Camp Equipage? At the bottom where it says "this man is in my employ" and it's signed Albert Cammack? And then Jacob Eller of 58th NC appears on a Register of Payments on Descriptive Lists, paid for 1 May 1863 to 29 February 1864. Paid by A. Cammack.
1614660584481.png

Last edited:
Found these records filed under Miscellaneous.
Do you know if the regiment was at or near McClellanville, SC when Jacob was detailed to wood working?
View attachment 392844View attachment 392845View attachment 392846

View attachment 392848View attachment 392847
EDIT TO ADD: Yep, those records are for your Jacob Eller of the 58th NC. See the signature on the Requisition for Clothing and Camp Equipage? At the bottom where it says "this man is in my employ" and it's signed Albert Cammack? And then Jacob Eller of 58th NC appears on a Register of Payments on Descriptive Lists, paid for 1 May 1863 to 29 February 1864. Paid by A. Cammack.
View attachment 392849

Michael C. Hardy has Jacob in Knoxville when he was Detailed as a wood workman. Service Record Notes: says 1863-08-01 Detailed as a wood workman. Hardy has that footnoted, see if I can chase that down. 58th was in upper East TN guarding Cumberland Gap and all the other Gaps from mid 62 to mid 63, eventually moving South to the area closer to Knoxville.

Last note: 1864-04-30 Returned. This date would support your finding of him getting paid, 1 May 1864 to 29 February 1864. McClellanville is on the SC coast. close to Charleston. They processed Salt, Turpentine, ect. 58th was in Dalton GA during this period. Joe Johnson is going to execute 12 of them for Desertion on May 4. Executes a few more, but the majority are Tar Heels. Confederacy has a large Army in Dalton. Could men of been detached for an important task as procuring Salt during the winter? Jacob was detailed once before. He enlisted as a Sargent. Short stint of desertion. Busted down to Private. Then lucky enough to be detailed with a small group to Knoxville. The Capitan of Company L was Calvin Eller from Ash County.

All Curious. I have a family contact that will hopefully have some info on Jacob. He has some medical issues. So, he requested that I call him next week or so. Looking forward to that.

Thanks for your good work.

If @Michael C. Hardy said the regiment was at or near Knoxville when he was initially detailed to wood worker, then Im sure they were. This seems to be another assignment with the QM dept. or perhaps an extension of the earlier one? but at/near McClellanville with Arnold Cammack this time. Helps to explain some of the time between 8/1/1863 and 4/30/64.

The detail wouldn't have stayed at Knoxville after 12/63 when Longstreet retreated, so makes sense the detail, or at least part of it, was sent elsewhere. Now we know that at least Jacob Eller wound up in McClellanville, SC after Longstreet's forces retreated from Knoxville.

If @Michael C. Hardy said the regiment was at or near Knoxville when he was initially detailed to wood worker, then Im sure they were. This seems to be another assignment with the QM dept. or perhaps an extension of the earlier one? but at/near McClellanville with Arnold Cammack this time. Helps to explain some of the time between 8/1/1863 and 4/30/64.

The detail wouldn't have stayed at Knoxville after 12/63 when Longstreet retreated, so makes sense the detail, or at least part of it, was sent elsewhere. Now we know that at least Jacob Eller wound up in McClellanville, SC after Longstreet's forces retreated from Knoxville.
The 58th came South as part of Buckners Corps in early September 63. They were part of Braggs concentration of Troops before Chickamauga. Buckner served on Longstreet‘s Staff at Chickamauga. The 58th were part of Preston’s Division which Longstreet used as his reserve force on the 20th. Late in the day, they were brought up to support Kershaw at Snodgrass Hill. So, they participated in the Final Assault. Get credit for participating in the capture of the 21st Ohio and their Revolving Colt Rifles. Had about 50% casualties. They Were at Missionary Ridge. Long story but the 58th were about where I-24 cuts Thru Missionary Ridge. They were headed to Knoxville with Cleburne. Cleburne is recalled during the Assault on Lookout Mountain. 58th gets attached to some other force repeatedly. Constantly under different command structures. Had the worst of everything. NC home manufacturers supplied their Troops with Uniforms. Not these 4 Regiments that came West.

I read Hardy’s Regimental History before I found out about Jacob Eller. They were from Western NC. Fought in Eastern TN, all the way to ATL. Stayed with the AOT until the end. Hardy picked the 58th to write about for several reasons. Great study. However your research does account for a lot of Jacobs missing time. When I saw his Service Record Notes saying he Returned on 04/30/64. I figured it was because of Desertion. If it was, probably his service record would record the date that began. So maybe he didn’t Desert. Hope my Family Source can fill some of those Gaps. With your help, and others, maybe all of this will Fit somehow.

Back