READ ME! Help Wanted: Book Listings / Book Reviews

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
So, I was just working in the Resources section where I've added over 130 different books to our collection of Civil War titles....

https://civilwartalk.com/resources/

Many with links to either Savas Beatie or Amazon, and just to be clear, we are affiliate partners with both of those sites, so if you make purchases at either of those sites after clicking our links, you are helping our site.

Book Listings Help Wanted

What I really want to discuss is that number of book in resources: just 130.

https://civilwartalk.com/resources/categories/acw-books-movies.35/

I mean, I'm happy with how many I've been able to add, but the number I've entered isn't nearly what I had hoped to add. We had over 3,500 in the bookstore 18 months ago. Admittedly, that was an automated system, not done by hand by people, and it also crashed a lot, and now it's non-functional, so that's why I'm replacing it.

So I'm asking for some help from our members. Would anybody be willing to volunteer to add new books to our resource area? I'm hoping you'd be able to add them in the same, or a similar manner to the way I currently add the books. You'd add them to a SUBMISSION Category, I'd review and make any needed adjustments, and then publish them to the proper categories.

Let me know below if you'd like to help, we can discuss the details.

Keep in mind, I haven't set up a system for this program, it might take a day or two to get started with this if you volunteer.

Book Reviews Wanted!

One of the other things I was doing today was adding some new book reviews in the Resources Area for the books what we do already have on the site. Many are common top 50 of all time Civil War books. Surely many of you have read and have an opinion about these books. Where is your review? No, not a review in the "Review Forum", in the Resources area!

Just select a book you want to review, and then click on the Blue Button at the Top Right that says "Leave a Rating", you can set the number of Stars for your review, and you must leave a few comments in your review, let us know what you thought about the book.

We even have a movie you can review, and I hope we will have more Civil War movies added soon!!

Upping the Ante...

For anyone who volunteers to Create New Book/Movie Listings in Resources, or anyone who becomes one of our Top Book/Movie Reviewers in Resources, what I can do is send you one of the first 10 Shenandoah Arsenal Witness Wood Slimline Pens that I've either already created, or will soon finish creating. I believe I've already finished 8.

These aren't just any old pens either, these are made from Civil War Witness Tree Wood that only I have access to, and each is custom designed just for a project like this!

Why Aren't I Selling Pens or Giving Them to Patrons & Staff Yet....

I have yet to sell, or even give away any pens up until now. I think I have a problem with being a perfectionist, and don't misunderstand, these pens are very good pens I'm giving away for this promotion, they function flawlessly, they look great, I think you'll be proud to own them and use them daily. However, I'm still experimenting, and I'm still learning. I still feel like a student of this craft.

I haven't found "my style" to the point where I'm thrilled and I can say "this is what I wanted in my work". I don't yet think these pens are part of my Signature Series that I want to create. They may be good, maybe even great, but they not the exceptional quality that I know I'm capable of.

I don't want these pens to impress you, I want them to knock your socks off. Maybe you won't be able to tell the difference just by looking, but if I do my job right, each pen should feel like the perfect pen for someone.

I know because I made my perfect pen, but now I want to learn how to make yours!

One of these days I'll do a tour of my shop and show you how I make pens!

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
I can think of many movies that could use a good review. I love CW movies. I can also think of a lot of books.

One Book Reviews I'd like to say, we need real book reviews, not endless threads of "Has anyone read this book?" or "I just got this book!" and other stuff that may be book related but ain't a review.

Some posts in the Book Review Forum make me scratch my head...

Is it too late to volunteer for this? I found this thread looking for a place to review General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse, by Joseph T. Glatthaar. I bought the book thinking to use it for reference, but I ended up finishing it in three days. Despite the statistics quoted (and am not a numbers person) this book was riveting. He makes his points with lots of excerpts from letters and diaries and backs them up with solid research. He covers every topic imaginable - supplies, combat, medical care, morale, you name it. Really an outstanding source for any civil war buff and so easy to read!

Thanks, Mike!

General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse Kindle Edition​

by Joseph Glatthaar (Author) Format: Kindle Edition

"You would be surprised to see what men we have in the ranks," Virginia cavalryman Thomas Rowland informed his mother in May 1861, just after joining the Army of Northern Virginia. His army — General Robert E. Lee's army — was a surprise to almost everyone: With daring early victories and an invasion into the North, they nearly managed to convince the North to give up the fight. Even in 1865, facing certain defeat after the loss of 30,000 men, a Louisiana private fighting in Lee's army still had hope. "I must not despair," he scribbled in his diary. "Lee will bring order out of chaos, and with the help of our Heavenly Father, all will be well."

Astonishingly, after 150 years of scholarship, there are still some major surprises about the Army of Northern Virginia. In General Lee's Army, renowned historian Joseph T. Glatthaar draws on an impressive range of sources assembled over two decades — from letters and diaries, to official war records, to a new, definitive database of statistics — to rewrite the history of the Civil War's most important army and, indeed, of the war itself. Glatthaar takes readers from the home front to the heart of the most famous battles of the war: Manassas, the Peninsula campaign, Antietam, Gettysburg, all the way to the final surrender at Appomattox. General Lee's Army penetrates headquarters tents and winter shanties, eliciting the officers' plans, wishes, and prayers; it portrays a world of life, death, healing, and hardship; it investigates the South's commitment to the war and its gradual erosion; and it depicts and analyzes Lee's men in triumph and defeat.

The history of Lee's army is a powerful lens on the entire war. The fate of Lee's army explains why the South almost won — and why it lost. The story of his men — their reasons for fighting, their cohesion, mounting casualties, diseases, supply problems, and discipline problems — tells it all.

Glatthaar's definitive account settles many historical arguments. The Rebels were fighting above all to defend slavery. More than half of Lee's men were killed, wounded, or captured — a staggering statistic. Their leader, Robert E. Lee, though far from perfect, held an exalted place in his men's eyes despite a number of mistakes and despite a range of problems among some of his key lieutenants.

General Lee's Army is a masterpiece of scholarship and vivid storytelling,