Announcement: Help Us Feature More Threads! It's Important!

civilwartalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
share.jpg

Hey everyone, we would like to ask for your help!

If you've got a great new Thread on CivilWarTalk, we would love to feature it on our Homepage, as well as share it on Facebook, hopefully attracting even more people to discover our site, and your content.

We need to have a good Photograph or Image with each thread we feature! This makes your content look good and become more sharable!

Here are the guidelines we recommend for creating shareable content:
  • The first post in a new thread should contain at least one photo, but not more than 2 photos.
  • The photo(s) should be arranged at the top of the post, before the text.
  • You should try to keep the text in the first post to under 600 words
  • Any additional photos and content can be added in a second post under the first
  • Add the Tag "shareable" to the thread to alert Ami that your thread is ready to be featured on the Homepage, and on Social Media!
We understand that not every thread can follow these guidelines, but the more that do, the more likely your content can help support our community!

How else you can help!

One thing you can do is support CivilWarTalk on Facebook!
  • Like & Follow our Page: https://www.facebook.com/CivilWarTalk/
  • When we share content that you like, Please Like, Comment and Share it!
  • Don't hesitate to share our content with your favorite Civil War groups on Facebook where appropriate!
Why we are asking...

As other forums on the internet are dying, we are slowly growing, but we need to continue working hard to maintain our growth! We want to have a healthy community on CivilWarTalk, and that means drawing in as many interested people as we can.

When you help us share great CivilWarTalk content, you help us stay a vibrant and viable community!

If you've got a great idea on how to help support CivilWarTalk, please share it with us by replying below!

Last edited by a moderator:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I'm not "attuned" to this sort of thing since I refuse to participate on sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc., etc.; as I've stated before, THIS is MY "social media"! I believe most if not all of my "historical" threads are certainly suitable for sharing though.

I'm not a "social media" person either, and refuse to participate in or support it. Life is too short and I value my privacy, which is impossible to maintain on sites like facebook (I have three sons involved in computer/network security). Sorry!

What I find an occasional turnoff here is some of those extra long threads (usually with controversial titles and initial troll-like posts) with many hundreds of posts, in which anything said after the first 2-3 pages is usually mere repetition. It's gotten to the point that I don't even look at threads with more than 30-50 posts, because I don't want to have to read them through. Shouldn't there be a point at which the moderators should close off the discussion because nothing new is being said?

Otherwise, I dearly love this site, and it's one of two in which I participate (the other one being a backpacking forum of which I've been a member for over 15 years).

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
I have mixed feelings about this. Lotta trolls and modern politics have invaded Facebook and this site provides refuge from both. Other than vacation and grandchildren pics/posts,I don't participate much on Facebook. To help the forum grow,I donate and try to post good content and make new members feel welcome.

We understand that not every thread can follow these guidelines, but the more that do, the more likely your content can help support our community!
My "Moral Injury" thread doesn't quite fit all the criteria, but I'd be happy to share that on Facebook. (It's a topic that could be discussed by more than just those interested in Civil War history, and you never know...it might encourage some to come over to CWT and take a look.)

I don't know if that's the kind of thread you're looking for though.

I understand that some of you may have your concerns or a general disdain when it comes to social media. I've certainly had my share of love/hate moments on various sites. The thing is, nobody is actually asking any of you to participate in social media sites. All that is being asked of anyone is to make some changes in the format of how original posts are created on this site to help make them more social media friendly.

I completely understand where the site administrators are coming from on this. Forums such as these are few and far-between and are under frequent risk of dying out if page views and site visitation isn't consistent or high-enough. Beyond that, forums like this are, in my opinion, an essential tool for sharing multi-faceted views of history instead of skewed, one-sided presentations that are often found in many educational criteria. We're not just debating and disputing various aspects of the American Civil War, but also sharing a broader perspective of the conflict, what led up to it, and how it affected the development of the United States, and the world for that matter, after it was done.

So much as some lament the behaviors of other social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and so on, I'll comment that this forum, as it was mentioned by another, is also it's own form of social media, and has some of the pitfalls and benefits that you'll find on other sites. We have our trolls, our own 'bullies,' a fair share of know-it-all's, and a whole bunch of really great people that share incredible things and help others learn.

I don't think it's asking too much to format your thread-starting posts so that they are better-presented for other sites. If it helps this site and nobody is asking anyone to join another, I fail to see what the problem is.

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
No one is asking anyone to join Facebook, but for those that are already on facebook, please like and follow our Facebook page and share the content that we post to Facebook (if you think it is share worthy :wink: )

In order to stay viable we have to stay current on how the internet works and advertises.

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
I also personally asked Mike to give guildlines for posts to be featured on the homepage. There are many great posts, but I don't have time to reformat them to make them suitable to be on the homepage.

I want to make sure that all aspects of CWT are featured!

civilwartalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
Remember, CivilWarTalk is an island in a vast ocean of information.

Our Facebook Page is the ferry that delivers new visitors to our community, and helps provide the lifeblood of our discussions. Do we get other visitors as well? Sure we do, but we cannot ignore Facebook and Twitter, just as we never ignore Google!

In addition, it's not just about Social Media, it's about featuing our best content for everyone to see. That's how we remain a viable community.

Thanks for your understanding!

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
I, too, count myself among the dinosaurs with utter disdain (contempt, if you will) for the social media. I don't understand it, don't know how to use it, can't imagine why it seems to appeal to so many people (feel the same about most of the 21st century, come to think of it).
But, it is clearly a powerful, influential force, and, like it or not, here to stay
yuck.gif

I don't think I've started many truly "important" threads -- but, if one should occur to me I will try to come up with a relevant, and, hopefully, "pretty" picture to introduce it.

Last edited:
My "Moral Injury" thread doesn't quite fit all the criteria, but I'd be happy to share that on Facebook. (It's a topic that could be discussed by more than just those interested in Civil War history, and you never know...it might encourage some to come over to CWT and take a look.)

I don't know if that's the kind of thread you're looking for though.
May I suggest that we only start with the "shareable" threads from now on and leave the already existing threads out so that posters know that all the world can listen to what we say?
I shared some pretty personal things here because I felt I'm amongst friends. I will most probably not participate in any thread that will go on Facebook.
Of course I want that this site continues to exist, and like @bdtex I donate to support CWT.
As we don't have the opportunity to delete our posts anymore, should @LoriAnn ' s admittedly brilliant thread will be published on Facebook, I'd ask one of the mods to delete it for me.
Thank you.

May I suggest that we only start with the "shareable" threads from now on and leave the already existing threads out so that posters know that all the world can listen to what we say?
Oh, that's an interesting issue.

The world can read all that we say now though. The difference will be perhaps some won't have to look so hard for it.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Having just grit my teeth, grimaced, held my nose, and clicked on https://www.facebook.com/CivilWarTalk/, I find that it is no more offensive than a "billboard" anyone can read -- just as any visitor to CivilWarTalk.com can read all our posts (actually, one of my threads is on it already). So, if you feel you have to "hide" your participation from anyone, you'd probably best not post at all.

I found no comments, stupid, intrusive or otherwise, just the occasional thumbs-up, with the name of the "thumbs-upper." The experience was quite painless, and if it helps attract new members, that can only be for the best in the long run. As we have seen, "the wrong kind of members" don't stay around too long anyway.

Heh. I keep forgetting to look for CWT on FB. Now that I've spent a little time on the page, I see what you guys are looking for.

And yep...Members of the Month are featured. Winners of photo and trivia contests are featured. Mike's most recent "Elizabeth Custer" thread is featured (and it fits perfectly).

I would like to thank the one dude who "Like"d my Member of the Month post! :D That my mom and siblings and cousins would do that makes sense. A total stranger though? Thanks, man.

Your threads/posts are viewable to the whole internet. That has always been that way and always will be that way.
With the utmost of respect, but isn't this kind of a misleading/generalized statement?

(Please excuse/forgive me if i am wrong, and educate me if otherwise...)

CWT postings can be pulled up easily via an internet search engine by people (that almost without fail) are intentionally researching a civil war topic that features the same 'buzzwords' or same/similar historical images, etc...

Aren't Facebook postings simply shotgun blasted and spotlighted (even if only momentarily) indiscriminately for all other facebook users to see?