Help! Train Wreck & Burials Barnesville GA Sept, 1, 1864

Bernadino S. Snachez-Confederate soldier from Chatham Co,
Shanna English (View posts)
Posted: 09 Sep 2006 11:27AM
Classification: Query
Surnames:
'Am seeking confirmation of Bernadino S. Sanchez' death in Barnesville, GA Sept.2, 1864. He was a Confederate soldier
in Capt. Ritter's Co. of Light Artillery. He was last paid in March, 1864. His service record ends there-

Can anyone tell me how they came up with that particular death date? That is the exact date of a train wreck between two Confederate trains outside of Barnesville. Many who were
killed in the train wreck are unknown. We are seeking proof
that he was one of those killed in that wreck. One train was
filled with sick & wounded soldiers being evacuated out of Atlanta by Gen. Hood-the other was a supply train from Macon headed to Griffin, Ga.

I appreciated anyone's respomse to our querry!

Shanna English
Old Jail Museum & Archives
326 Thomaston St.
Barneville, GA 30204
770 358-5855 work
770 358-1373 home
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.chatham/658/mb.ashx

1896.jpg

Bernadino S. Snachez-Confederate soldier from Chatham Co,
Shanna English (View posts)
Posted: 09 Sep 2006 11:27AM
Classification: Query
Surnames:
'Am seeking confirmation of Bernadino S. Sanchez' death in Barnesville, GA Sept.2, 1864. He was a Confederate soldier
in Capt. Ritter's Co. of Light Artillery. He was last paid in March, 1864. His service record ends there-

Can anyone tell me how they came up with that particular death date? That is the exact date of a train wreck between two Confederate trains outside of Barnesville. Many who were
killed in the train wreck are unknown. We are seeking proof
that he was one of those killed in that wreck. One train was
filled with sick & wounded soldiers being evacuated out of Atlanta by Gen. Hood-the other was a supply train from Macon headed to Griffin, Ga.

I appreciated anyone's respomse to our querry!

Shanna English
Old Jail Museum & Archives
326 Thomaston St.
Barneville, GA 30204
770 358-5855 work
770 358-1373 home
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.chatham/658/mb.ashx

HIS NAME WAS SANCHEZ and he was killed in the train wreck.

Major Bernadino Sanchez was killed in the train collision and his headstone states he died in the railway accident on Sept 2 1864. It does state the railway accident was near Griffin GA which is not correct.

Attachments

• Sanchez died in railway accident 1864.jpg
    Sanchez died in railway accident 1864.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 223
Major Bernadino Sanchez was killed in the train collision and his headstone states he died in the railway accident on Sept 2 1864. It does state the railway accident was near Griffin GA which is not correct.
I forgot to add that THIS headstone is with his family burial site in Savannah. I believe there is another one in Barnesville, GA. He is believed to be in the mass grave with Lt. Vaughan and others.

I spoke with Al Metcalf with the Barnesville SCV Camp there this weekend and he mentioned a Union officer form Connecticut that lost both his legs in the wreck but no other details. The news papers of the period that we have were reporting on the war in general and not specifically the wreck. This is the tragedy dealing with history is no one thinks of the value of the information. The only solution I have it go dig at Pike County Historical Society.

I spoke with Al Metcalf with the Barnesville SCV Camp there this weekend and he mentioned a Union officer form Connecticut that lost both his legs in the wreck but no other details. The news papers of the period that we have were reporting on the war in general and not specifically the wreck. This is the tragedy dealing with history is no one thinks of the value of the information. The only solution I have it go dig at Pike County Historical Society.
I will dig there (I am not sure there is an active society) and someone else said try Macon, GA. When the south's papers became the Rebel Archives it seems much was lost. I have found headstones in Barnesville that state a soldier was part of a Confederate Unit when in reality they were Union. I am sure toward the end of the war things were a blur. So many were killed in Jonesboro, there is no list of exactly who was on the train except some units can be identified. If only the headstones were not stolen. That is what hurt this cemetery most of all.

One interesting account is that of a POW from Iowa who was riding on top of one car.
This is a Union soldier with a name of Amos Ames, who was riding on top of the train with 22 other Union POW's. He survived and ran, only to be recaptured the next day. He described one POW with a broken leg that looked almost severed, one with an ankle injury, etc. He was a member of Company H of the 4th IOWA Infantry. He does not state if other members of his regiment were with him on the train. He counted 44 dead or dead and dying from severe injuries before he ran. He was fed cornbread and musty beans before the trip. He states they crashed on Sept 2nd, 1864., south of Griffin, GA. He is in the book " Grenville Mellen Dodge in the Civil War....Union Spymaster, Railroad Builder." This seems to go along with the story of Union soldiers burying the dead confederates and all soldiers killed. Soldier Ames states they were on their way to Andersonville Prison when they crashed.

I think some that survived the crash may have only lived a few days, but some have the wrong date of death.

There is no active Pike County Historical Society. But I think the guy Metcalf mentioned was a Fred Chapman. Sadly his headstone was placed recently in downtown Barnesville and he died in the train wreck. I wonder who orders these? Chapman was captured while tearing up the railroad.

There is no active Pike County Historical Society. But I think the guy Metcalf mentioned was a Fred Chapman. Sadly his headstone was placed recently in downtown Barnesville and he died in the train wreck. I wonder who orders these? Chapman was captured while tearing up the railroad.
What amazes me is when you look at the radar/sonar survey completed in 2017 there are SO MANY in that NE corner of the cemetery. I think the mass grave extends beyond the fence line.

I think some that survived the crash may have only lived a few days, but some have the wrong date of death.[/QUOTE]
View attachment 178697
View attachment 178698
More from the Stout records on Barnesville. Benjamin W.ashington Avent was there
Wait I can read the top of the page. So all of these men were already there and would not have been in the train wreck on Sept 1, 1864. Darn! I saw a Howard. Thought I had finally find one guy that has been a puzzle to me for years. Thanks!

Back