Help to find Jonathan Eames (CoA/16th AL)

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Can anyone find this man? Census, birth, death, burial, anything?

I have his carded records, but can't find him anywhere else. No record that he died while serving in the CS Army as a Hospital Steward. His friend during the war was another Hospital Steward named Lucious P Hudson. I've found everything about him - birth, carded records, pension, census, burial, etc. but can find nothing of Jonathan Eames. Any help appreciated.

Jonathan Eames Enlisted July 11, 1861 as Private Company A, 16th Alabama at Cherokee, AL by Colonel William B Wood for 3 years. Listed on Company Muster Roll for July 11 – August 31, 1861 dated October 22, 1861 as Jotham [sic] Eames Pvt. Company A, 16th Alabama Infantry, absent, detailed on special duty as Hospital Steward August 25, 1861. Appears on a Register of Payments on Descriptive Lists for period of service March 1, 1862 - October 31, 1862, paid $160 on November 17, 1862. Appears on a Return of Hospital Stewards serving in Hospitals of General Bragg’s Army during the month of July 1863; post Ringgold; name of Hospital Foard. Appears as Jonathan Eames Hospital Steward on a Receipt Roll for clothing issued August 1, 1863. Appears on Hospital Muster Roll of the Foard Hospital at Newnan Georgia attached to Hospital May 26, 1863, steward, present. Appears on a Receipt Roll for clothing issued January 6, 1864. Appears as Jonathan Eames Steward from Hospital on a Receipt Roll for clothing issued March 4, 1864.Appears as J. Eames Hosp Steward on a Receipt Roll for clothing issued November 19, 1864. (Carded records are split between 16th AL and "Officers" since he was a Hospital Steward)

Hmm I'm not having any luck finding him, either. Do you think there might be a transcription issue? I couldn't find anyone in Cherokee County with his last name in the 1866 state census. Having trouble locating 1860 census for that county at the moment. But I did find a fair number of folks with the names Weems and Eames there? (This is of course assuming he lived there and didn't just enlist there.) I also noticed his CSR on Fold3 gives Jotham as the first name? Not that I had any luck with these variations, but I am wondering if he had a name that got mangled a lot, and that makes his records hard to find. :frown:

Last edited:
Ahhhhh. Should have specified. Sorry about that. Cherokee is the town. It's tiny with a population of like 1000 people. Its in Colbert County now, but at the time it was Franklin county.

I did a little digging around in Franklin Co. Not having much luck there, either, though again I'm seeing a lot of Weems/James surnames. I also tried Ames and even Eams. :frown:

Also, Laura, what do you think the odds are that he may have been in either Mississippi or Tennessee prior to the war? Might be a long shot--and a tentative search revealed nothing--but I noticed that the right Cherokee, Alabama, :wink: is near the border of both of those states.

The first hospital steward was a Dr. Eames, from Cleveland, O. There were in the Confederate army, many gallant soldiers from Illinois, Indiana, and other Northern States. For instance, in the Fifteenth Tennessee regiment, there was an entire company raised in Illinois, General Strahl commanding the brigade. These volunteers believed that the cause of the South was right, and as it was the weaker party they magnanimously espoused their cause, and left their homes to engage in the unequal conflict. Some of them came on General Roddy's steamboat to Eastport, and joined as privates Company A, which was then being raised by Dr. McGaughey. This is the appropriate place to notice a few of these noble men, of whom we happen to have special information.

Dr. Eames was a druggist from Cleveland, Ohio, as I have said, and became steward for the regimental hospital. His capacity was such that he was transferred to Post Hospital duty, and was a long time at Newman, in Georgia. He had visited some friends in North Alabama, and started over Sand Mountain with the view of setting up his business in Newman and returning to his family in Ohio, but was never heard of afterward. It is supposed that he had money and several watches about his person, which friends had sent to be repaired in Newman, that he had been robbed and murdered by the Tories. Such was the fate of the young gentleman who might have remained at home in safety and affluence, but impelled by lofty motives he, with others, came to our aid in the day of our extremity, and we therefore record the facts, and offer to their memories the tribute of our grateful remembrance.

http://www.trackingyourroots.com/data/16ala.htm

The first hospital steward was a Dr. Eames, from Cleveland, O. There were in the Confederate army, many gallant soldiers from Illinois, Indiana, and other Northern States. For instance, in the Fifteenth Tennessee regiment, there was an entire company raised in Illinois, General Strahl commanding the brigade. These volunteers believed that the cause of the South was right, and as it was the weaker party they magnanimously espoused their cause, and left their homes to engage in the unequal conflict. Some of them came on General Roddy's steamboat to Eastport, and joined as privates Company A, which was then being raised by Dr. McGaughey. This is the appropriate place to notice a few of these noble men, of whom we happen to have special information.

Dr. Eames was a druggist from Cleveland, Ohio, as I have said, and became steward for the regimental hospital. His capacity was such that he was transferred to Post Hospital duty, and was a long time at Newman, in Georgia. He had visited some friends in North Alabama, and started over Sand Mountain with the view of setting up his business in Newman and returning to his family in Ohio, but was never heard of afterward. It is supposed that he had money and several watches about his person, which friends had sent to be repaired in Newman, that he had been robbed and murdered by the Tories. Such was the fate of the young gentleman who might have remained at home in safety and affluence, but impelled by lofty motives he, with others, came to our aid in the day of our extremity, and we therefore record the facts, and offer to their memories the tribute of our grateful remembrance.
http://www.trackingyourroots.com/data/16ala.htm
Oh wow. No wonder he is not to be found on the 1860 US census in Franklin (now Colbert) county AL. Thanks so much for locating and providing this information!

Cincinnati Daily Gazette Wednesday, Jul 10, 1867
j eames Cincinnati Daily Gazette Wednesday, Jul 10, 1867.jpg

Back