Help Save 107 Acres at the Coaling- Port Republic

I stopped by there yesterday and took a few photos. I had driven by this many times and had not noticed it.

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

There used to be something like four more signs up there. Not sure why they've been removed. Maybe that money is just going to salaries at the Trust now. Glad to see higher quality preservation organizations are stepping up to fill the void created by the Trust's new direction.

There used to be something like four more signs up there. Not sure why they've been removed. Maybe that money is just going to salaries at the Trust now. Glad to see higher quality preservation organizations are stepping up to fill the void created by the Trust's new direction.
I have been there several times over the years starting in maybe 2006. There used to be more signs and it was just better maintained in general. My last trip a couple of years ago, it appeared rather neglected. It seems to be the case since the trust sort of reorganized, and I agree, perhaps more funds have been being allocated toward salaries and other non-preservation related expenses. Just look up what happened with the pristine Haw's Shop battlefield outside Richmond. Bought up by developers for a subdivision from right under their noses!

I have been there several times over the years starting in maybe 2006. There used to be more signs and it was just better maintained in general. My last trip a couple of years ago, it appeared rather neglected. It seems to be the case since the trust sort of reorganized, and I agree, perhaps more funds have been being allocated toward salaries and other non-preservation related expenses. Just look up what happened with the pristine Haw's Shop battlefield outside Richmond. Bought up by developers for a subdivision from right under their noses!
Great point, I had almost forgotten about Haw's Shop. It's doubly disappointing when you hear things like how the "Chief Historian" put on a Fraggle Rock-like puppet show at the annual conference a few years ago or that the Trust hires contractors to write the battle summaries for its website instead of using the in-house salaried "historians."

Thanks for posting the Coaling pictures. "The Coaling was the first land acquisition of the modern Civil War battlefield preservation movement."The original " 8.55 acre site was donated to the [American Battlefield] Trust's forerunner, the Association for the Preservation of Civil War Sites...." The 107 acres adds on to this original acquisition. This site marks the culmination of Stonewall Jackson's 1862 Valley Campaign. The battle raged back and forth across the Coaling as both North and South fought for this key position. Whoever held the Coaling, held the battlefield. Finally overwhelming forces drove Gen. Tyler's Union forces from the field, leaving Jackson in possession.

I have no desire to help save land in Virginia. I'm a Virginian and if we treated every 7 years war, American Revolution war, war of 1812 and the civil war like we do Gettysburg there wouldn't be any Virginia left.

There are about 27,376,000 or over 27 million acres of land in Virginia. The amount of preserved land is miniscule compared to that. The American Battlefield Trust has helped preserve 52,000 acres but that is spread out over a large number of States, so you can do the math. "According to a Congressionally authorized studies performed by the National Park Service’s American Battlefield Protection Program, almost 60 percent of the 243 significant battles of the Revolution and War of 1812 retain no significant "lands from the period of battle.” More than 20 percent of important Civil War battles are similarly destroyed forever, covered by roads, housing developments and other modern development. Our nation loses approximately one acre of hallowed ground every hour." Although I don't live in Virginia, I would welcome money coming into the State to help preserve battlefield sites, open space, wildlife habitat etc. There are plenty of strip malls, housing developments etc, and there is enough room in Virginia for both development and preservation to co-exist.

On June 26, the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation had a living history event at Port Republic with historians and re-enactors there. If there are any "civil war talkers" who live in the area and attended, then can you post pictures or comment about the event. Thanks.

On June 26, the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation had a living history event at Port Republic with historians and re-enactors there. If there are any "civil war talkers" who live in the area and attended, then can you post pictures or comment about the event. Thanks.
I was there, that's me second from the right with my mess mates from New England who came down for the event. Had a great weekend.
20210625_173432.jpg

Back