PA Help! Red Tape Stopping Civil War Soldiers from getting Duly Earned Headstones

HAHeinz

Cadet
Hi, As Chairman of the Lower Makefield Historical Commission I have been trying for the last 3 years to get several Civil War soldiers new tombstones in our local National Register designated cemetery known as: Slate Hill Cemetery. For your information we have at least 20 Civil War soldiers buried here, 11 members of various northern units--I can give details, and 9 soldiers in a separate portion of the graveyard called "the segregated section" (yes really, sadly, not all African-Americans but largely so).

I have researched all of them. 3, 2 of the Colored Troops and 1 in the other section were not on a survey of graves made in 1926. We have learned of their burial here from local newspaper reports of the time they died. Several (3) older stones were almost illegible, including the one from the only soldier who actually died in battle in the Civil War, so I applied to the Veteran's Administration for new tombstones for these 6 of our soldiers, per their own regulations. They accepted my applications and the stones arrived almost 3 years ago to our local Public Works department.

Then I hit a stone wall. A 1992 State Statute, meant to deter vandalism of cemeteries, has been used by local officials to hold me up. (Must be a terrible person to want to do this.)

Our local officials have decided I, or rather the Township must apply to a County Judge to have it "okayed" by him to have the stones placed. After 2 years of other official delay, the township's lawyer's associate finally submitted that request to ? county judge. (He must be laughing and wondering what to do!)

Another Veteran's Day has passed and these guys still do not have their duly earned stones. PAPER WORK?

Any suggestions? Sorry to vent but this is ridiculous.

Dr. Helen A. Heinz, Yardley PA

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me I'd see if I could find an attorney who would do a little pro bono work and write a letter to the pertinent local official(s). I'd then contact the newspaper and give them the story (or write a letter to the editor if they won't run a story). That way there's an official, written request and the officials are in the public eye. If they don't respond to your request (or deny it) then I'd do all I could to make that known publicly and see if you have any legal options.

I suppose you could also just install the stones as it doesn't seem like anybody really cares or is looking (assuming you feel you've met state code). It's one of those "forgiveness is easier than permission" situations. I volunteer at an historic cemetery and we always try to do things by the book so I don't really recommend you install the stones without the paperwork but it is a consideration; desperate times, desperate measures.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited:
Hi, As Chairman of the Lower Makefield Historical Commission I have been trying for the last 3 years to get several Civil War soldiers new tombstones in our local National Register designated cemetery known as: Slate Hill Cemetery. For your information we have at least 20 Civil War soldiers buried here, 11 members of various northern units--I can give details, and 9 soldiers in a separate portion of the graveyard called "the segregated section" (yes really, sadly, not all African-Americans but largely so).

I have researched all of them. 3, 2 of the Colored Troops and 1 in the other section were not on a survey of graves made in 1926. We have learned of their burial here from local newspaper reports of the time they died. Several (3) older stones were almost illegible, including the one from the only soldier who actually died in battle in the Civil War, so I applied to the Veteran's Administration for new tombstones for these 6 of our soldiers, per their own regulations. They accepted my applications and the stones arrived almost 3 years ago to our local Public Works department.

Then I hit a stone wall. A 1992 State Statute, meant to deter vandalism of cemeteries, has been used by local officials to hold me up. (Must be a terrible person to want to do this.)

Our local officials have decided I, or rather the Township must apply to a County Judge to have it "okayed" by him to have the stones placed. After 2 years of other official delay, the township's lawyer's associate finally submitted that request to ? county judge. (He must be laughing and wondering what to do!)

Another Veteran's Day has passed and these guys still do not have their duly earned stones. PAPER WORK?

Any suggestions? Sorry to vent but this is ridiculous.

Dr. Helen A. Heinz, Yardley PA
Welcome! Don't apologize, you're venting is well understood and welcome on this site. I'd contact all branches of the local media, newspaper, TV etc. and see if they will do a human interest story. Perhaps then more, hopefully including a lawyer may be willing to help. Throw enough mud on the wall and get exposure to this. The "squeaky wheel" exposure just might put a flame under the local' politician's "you know what." for fear of embarrassment for exempting to honor/place a headstone on any soldier, especially on Veteran's Day for more than once! :wink:

Welcome! I admire the work you are doing. Your question has elicited some great suggestions. I second the suggestions that you use the resources you have available: local media, especially TV; letters to the editor; contact with local, state and Federal elected officials. I wish you well. Keep us posted!

@HAHeinz If you can post some good photos of the unmarked cemetery plots and/or the waiting to be installed markers, we can promote this story on our end as well!

Seriously! Because reporters (print and other media) do searches for more information--and when it shows up, they start realizing there's a whooooole lot of folks interested in long-dead veterans.

@HAHeinz, we'll help all we can!

imho, doing any of the showy stuff or getting the local newspaper lighted up before going to your state and Federal representative can work against you. If the first time your state or Federal Rep. hears of the issue is some newspaper reporter badgering them for comment it can be embarrassing -- they're blind-sided and already at fault for not knowing.

In my experience city and county government reps are a waste of time for this kind of thing, sorry you're going through that. It plays out that way time and time again in counties and parishes all over the country (right CW talkers?). At that level they often are just too myopic and politically-beholding to risk introducing anything that doesn't leverage voter awareness or might cost money.

Bypass them. Been there done that. Go to your State and Federal reps. -- both parties -- and see who's doing their job. I hate to say it, but a face-to-face personal appointment might be necessary. Goin' to D.C. anytime soon?

Last edited:
Back