Help Please? 1828 North Carolina Map Labels & Location

Wow @John Winn Thats a lot of cemeteries in a small amount of space. Id say the one right near where the house was is a good possibility? And any other old ones that are on the property. Thank you so much!!!! Is there a way to find out the approximate time period a cemetery was used without visiting it and noting dates?

I don't know any way to really date a cemetery on the ground if there's no markers. Some only have a few burials and others were used for decades. If there's really old planted trees you can at least say they were used before such were planted (but then have to estimate when that was; can sometimes take a core but that requires equipment). If I were you I'd contact the closest historical or genealogical society. Those folks often know a lot about cemeteries and can often hook you up with oldtimers who know stuff.

Looking for buried stones is often productive. You first have to look for things like depressions and probe those. It can be tedious and dirty but I find it a bit like finding gold nuggets to actually locate a buried marker (and at least put it back on the surface). Old cemeteries can be addictive.

That said, realize that you should definitely not dig anything without permission from the current land owner. Out here there's some technical issues with who can "visit" an old cemetery - might not be the case in NC - but nobody can disturb anything other than the land owner. In Oregon there are cemeteries that have been designated "historic" by the legislature and they have different rules but if you just happen to have an old cemetery on your property you own it. Might be worth looking into cemetery law in NC but be aware that land owners often don't give a hoot what the law says; best to just approach them and explain your connection to the land and your desire to locate a relative's grave. Most can relate to that and are willing to help. Just be sure to ask if you can do minimal digging for stones. Some think graves should be left alone no matter what.

Last edited:
I don't know any way to really date a cemetery on the ground if there's no markers. Some only have a few burials and others were used for decades. If there's really old planted trees you can at least say they were used before such were planted (but then have to estimate when that was; can sometimes take a core but that requires equipment). If I were you I'd contact the closest historical or genealogical society. Those folks often know a lot about cemeteries and can often hook you up with oldtimers who know stuff.

Looking for buried stones is often productive. You first have to look for things like depressions and probe those. It can be tedious and dirty but I find it a bit like finding gold nuggets to actually locate a buried marker (and at least put it back on the surface). Old cemeteries can be addictive.
Sounds like something that is best done by the experienced. Do you by chance happen to have a trip to NC planned any time in the future? :wavespin:

On this google map you will see Ready Branch. To a pond that looks like a boot!put you overlay making the pond in blue color boot maybe it will be close to the mill house. Sorry I couldn’t get it right side up
2DD03D9D-E3CE-4A14-B8A0-1785903B14BA.jpeg

Sounds like something that is best done by the experienced. Do you by chance happen to have a trip to NC planned any time in the future? :wavespin:

Alas, I'm afraid not but it would be fun. As with anything, experience helps. Start with contacting local societies. Often they've got somebody who's the local expert and those folks can be your ticket.

The important thing is you don't want to make anybody unhappy and you definitely don't want to damage anything. If you aren't comfortable with trying to find and dig the remains of markers then don't try. In really old cemeteries it's often a long shot anyway and with all those on the map you might be at it for many a trip to cover all that real estate.

Take these maps to a local Surveyor, He may be able to help.
Great idea @JCK Thanks for the suggestion. I also have the "legal" descriptions that accompany the maps, although I doubt they would be of much use to a surveyor since they reference things like Post Oak, Cypress, White oak and pine, two black gums, and Lightning knot (whatever that is?) Anyway all those trees are probably long gone.

Laura, I found this on Google Maps which looks like it could fit the streams:
View attachment 216459

It's west of Murfreesboro, NC. The Perdue Farms Inc you see toward the right bottom corner is about 3.2 miles from Murfreesboro center.

It looks like the dotted line in the center of your map is an old road that is now the Highway 158. And the line leading north toward Deans Mill would be Deloatch Mill Road.
I am so impressed by your map reading skills! You found the property all the way from Germany! Thank you so much!

View attachment 216444
I need some help with the location that this map represents. It's a 1828 division of property estate map for Northampton County NC or another location somewhere near Murphreesboro, NC. Any North Carolina folks familiar with this part of the country? @Eleanor Rose @Southern Unionist @nc native @CSA Today @Seduzal or anyone else who might know? Any help certainly appreciated. Down below is the map, oriented as drawn with south at the top. Ive oriented it correctly with N at the top in the image above.

I added the cardinal designations NSEW. If I am reading them correctly, the named streams appear to be Reedy Branch, Kirby's Creek, and "Woolftree" branch. Also named on the map - mables (or maples) bridge and deans mill. Anyone recognize the streams or the named landmarks?
Here is the map, oriented correctly - with north at the top.
View attachment 216444
And here is the map as originally drawn with S at the top
View attachment 216447
Hello,
I have found your maps very interesting and wonder if you have made any additional progress with the owners. Please take a look at the site below as it relates to Kirby Creek. There is a scanned document at the bottom of the page from the NC Dept of Archaeology re: the Town of Princeton that was formed where Kirby Creek meets the Meherrin before the revolution.

Hello @Clifmorgan and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion! Very happy to have you aboard.

Indeed, I have made quite a bit of progress and posted it in another thread located here Please let me know your thoughts after you have an opportunity to read it.

@lelliott19 Your follow up post is very interesting. I will share it with some cousins... I chanced to drive through the area several years ago but, not knowing the owners, didn't venture onto the land... My ancestors left that area in the early 1800s for Wake County, NC and then on to Guilford County, NC.

Back