Help Needed in Finding Source (Vicksburg Campaign)

alan polk

1st Lieutenant
Anyone skilled in researching Official Records? Help sorely needed!

Several years ago I came across an accounting of the numbers of artillery limbers and caissons captured at Big Black River Bridge. I have since lost the source, but I'm almost certain it came from the Official Records.

It is not Mather's report, which lists the guns and ordnance captured. I think it was in a chart or table that listed the number of limbers and caissons, but not sure. I've tried relocating the source but can't find it.

Please, might someone help? I just can't seem to relocate it. I'm hoping some of you guys and gals are experts in using search engines for the Official Records, or, perhaps already know the source I seek.

I would so much appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
In th O.R., maybe it was in Grant's report, or a supplemental report? I do remember seeing it. Or was it in Battles and Leaders?

Anyone skilled in researching Official Records? Help sorely needed!

Several years ago I came across an accounting of the numbers of artillery limbers and caissons captured at Big Black River Bridge. I have since lost the source, but I'm almost certain it came from the Official Records.

It is not Mather's report, which lists the guns and ordnance captured. I think it was in a chart or table that listed the number of limbers and caissons, but not sure. I've tried relocating the source but can't find it.

Please, might someone help? I just can't seem to relocate it. I'm hoping some of you guys and gals are experts in using search engines for the Official Records, or, perhaps already know the source I seek.

I would so much appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!
you say it is not in Mather's report??...he says 18 guns with caissons and limbers complete...except two the caissons of which had been previously captured..

you say it is not in Mather's report??...he says 18 guns with caissons and limbers complete...except two the caissons of which had been previously captured..
Thanks all for replies.

No, the source I had was not Mather's. I should have been more specific. The source I had said, if I recall correctly, 6 limbers and 4 caissons captured.

It may not have been in the ORs as rbasin suggests. I'll focus on other primary sources. I had just been convinced it was in the ORs.

Back in the late 1980's the remins of caissons and shells were found in the waters at the crossing at the Big Black. I see if I can find it again if this is the artillery you are talking about.

Hey ucvrelics,

That caisson was found at the Bridgeport crossing north of the battle at the Big Black Bridge. It was actually raised in the 1960s and contained 3" Mulane projectiles, if I recall. It is on display at Grand Gulf State Park.

Thanks Huskerblitz. That list references those captured at Champion Hill. It seems the list regarding Big Black was in a similar format as what you found and provided. I'm starting to think what I'm looking for is from another source. That, or I'm just delusional or dreamed up the whole thing- which is very likely too!

Anyway thanks!

Did you ever find this list? I just read that the several Missouri batteries (CS) lost 16 guns in that battle. Only Landis' Battery, which was on the bluff on the west side of the Big Black did not lose guns. The book said that Pemberton had ordered all artillery horses on the west side of the Big Black for some reason. This made it impossible to pull the guns off. Many CS guns were dumped in the river. Some have been recovered since but some are still there.

Did you ever find this list? I just read that the several Missouri batteries (CS) lost 16 guns in that battle. Only Landis' Battery, which was on the bluff on the west side of the Big Black did not lose guns. The book said that Pemberton had ordered all artillery horses on the west side of the Big Black for some reason. This made it impossible to pull the guns off. Many CS guns were dumped in the river. Some have been recovered since but some are still there.
I finally figured out that the cite I was thinking of came from Ed Bearss. Although citation is, in fact, made to the ORs, I have yet to find it in the official records or anywhere else at this time.

Other than the CS gun and limber recovered from the Big Black at Bridgeport in the 1960s, I know of no other guns dumped in, or recovered from, the Big Black River - at least below or west of Hwy 49 or so. I would be interested in any information you might have indicating otherwise.

I am unable to find my notes on that but a handful of guns were rolled off into the river. Later a private firm recovered one or two from the river but the park service quickly stepped in and claimed them. One of these supposedly sits in a warehouse at Port Hudson park. Park rangers can confirm this. I know of at least two guns that are still there, maybe as many as half a dozen.

Just like at Champion Hill and elsewhere, the number of guns taken in by Union forces and counted is less than the actual number lost to the Confederacy because they were hiding them in creeks and river.

Back