Help needed: Confederate civilian driver doing arty ammo run @ Peach Orchard

EJ Zander

Sergeant Major
Sorry for the terrible thread title. Looking for help in researching a Confederate civilian driver who made a run with his team (horses) out to the area of the Peach Orchard to resupply an artillery unit (s) while under fire. Read about it awhile back and now cant remember where ie. personal letters, ORs or what. Was hoping some one could point me in the right direction.

I have never heard of this information, and also never heard of a civilian teamster driving an army vehicle on the field at Gettysburg, in either army. All of the identified teamsters/wagoners (over 250) that I know of at Gettysburg were detailed from their army unit commands, with the exception of a handful of slaves who reportedly drove Confederate teams during the retreat (under close supervision). The latter were enslaved civilians, but that is not germane to your inquiry.

Sorry for the terrible thread title. Looking for help in researching a Confederate civilian driver who made a run with his team (horses) out to the area of the Peach Orchard to resupply an artillery unit (s) while under fire. Read about it awhile back and now cant remember where ie. personal letters, ORs or what. Was hoping some one could point me in the right direction.
I've never heard of this either, but PLEASE let us know if are able to locate the source. Very interested in knowing more about this story. Thanks.

Hope this helps EJ!

Here is a link to a Google book which mentions a William Forrest who along with Jim Brown (identified as drivers) brought off a Yankee gun after being given instructions from artillerymen. Later in the report (by Major Benjamin Eshleman of the famed Washington Artillery) mentioned that he was "indefatigable in his exertions until he had hauled from between the lines horses and harness sufficient to haul the gun"

https://books.google.com/books?id=D96hVLdfTxIC&pg=PT108&lpg=PT108&dq=william+forrest+peach+orchard+gettysburg&source=bl&ots=01s07_HL-b&sig=S_0aKVuSrtcNs8d8H2wF8iDuVV8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2l8q49-3TAhXl7YMKHQWDAqwQ6AEIVTAI#v=onepage&q=william forrest peach orchard gettysburg&f=false

Hope this helps EJ!

Here is a link to a Google book which mentions a William Forrest who along with Jim Brown (identified as drivers) brought off a Yankee gun after being given instructions from artillerymen. Later in the report (by Major Benjamin Eshleman of the famed Washington Artillery) mentioned that he was "indefatigable in his exertions until he had hauled from between the lines horses and harness sufficient to haul the gun"

https://books.google.com/books?id=D96hVLdfTxIC&pg=PT108&lpg=PT108&dq=william+forrest+peach+orchard+gettysburg&source=bl&ots=01s07_HL-b&sig=S_0aKVuSrtcNs8d8H2wF8iDuVV8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2l8q49-3TAhXl7YMKHQWDAqwQ6AEIVTAI#v=onepage&q=william forrest peach orchard gettysburg&f=false
Thanks for the help Ken. Just posted about these guys myself in another thread. Were getting close and uncovering some cool stuff along the way. Guy was definitely a civilian though.

Back