Help me research this primer box i bought!

I joined this forum to share this box I got at an estate sale. I believe it to be civil war era: the writing says ( Top) Primers 1000 on no account to be put in the magazine. (Side) naval laboratory primers washington
EAZeWSe.jpg

the cool part is the bronze key is still with it! the lock mechanism still works and is intact as well

N9ikcRl.jpg

Any Info you may be able to give me would be amazing. Thank you!

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. VERY NICE piece. It is indeed a primer shipping box from the Naval Lab in Washington that produced these primer. Its hard to tell from the photos and paint just how its made but it does look like CW. Most of the primers and other ammo components that were made there were for the big navy guns and seacoast guns. Does the key have any markings on it? Could you post some photos of the inside especially where the corners are joined.

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. VERY NICE piece. It is indeed a primer shipping box from the Naval Lab in Washington that produced these primer. Its hard to tell from the photos and paint just how its made but it does look like CW. Most of the primers and other ammo components that were made there were for the big navy guns and seacoast guns. Does the key have any markings on it? Could you post some photos of the inside especially where the corners are joined.

Thank you for the warm welcome. The key has no markings, and the box is joined with dovetails. I Have only found one other reference online to this same type of box,
here: http://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2724M/lots/141Vaw3aSwo7sr4phsiczV8T0fsC&ust=1508001907358551
although the paint job on mine is different. First I thought someone had paintd it grey over the letters, now I see the grey is original and the letters are on top of the paint.

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and another avid Civil War collector!

Back