Help me find Henry Gray at Fort Stevens

gordoncarson

Cadet
Hello

I am emailing from the UK.

My Gr Gr Gr Uncle Henry M Gray (born in the UK in 1831) emigrated to the USA in 1855, aged 24.

In September 1859 he married Orcelia (Celia) Susan Shaw.

Henry M Gray enlisted for the Union Army on 1st January 1865.

He fought with the 3rd Heavy Artillery Regiment, Company F.

I understand he was stationed at some point at Fort Stevens just outside Washington. (Where President Lincoln was shot at)

He was wounded in the knee at Pleasant Valley and he was discharged from the Army on 31st January 1868.

He ultimately died at the Kansas National Veterans Home in Leavenworth on 30th November 1899, aged 68. He was living there from 1894 until the time he died. He dropped dead of heart failure playing cards with is fellow veterans.

He is buried at the Leavenworth National Cemetery.

I have a picture of him sporting some sort of a War Medal taken some time after the war had ended. Would you be able to identify the medal if I sent you the said picture?

Any other detail about my distant relative would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Gordon

It's likely a Grand Army of the Republic medal:
download.jpeg

From the National Park Service. Battery F 3rd U S Artillery: SERVICE:-Duty in the Defences of Washington, D. C., till March, 1862. Ordered to the Virginia Peninsula. Siege of Yorktown, Va., April 5-May 4. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison's Landing till August 16. Moved to Alexandria August 16-23. Duty in the Defences of Washington till November. Movement to Falmouth, Va. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. At Falmouth till April, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Rappahannock StationNovember 7. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12, 1864. Wilderness May 5-7. Spottsylvania May 8-21. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Siege of Petersburg June 16 to August 5. Deep Bottom July 27-28. Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Near Winchester August 11. Near Kearneysville August 25. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty in the Shenandoah Valley till April, 1865, and in the Defences of Washington till August, 1865.

Last edited:
Gordon, welcome to the forum from "inside of Mosby's Confederacy". Pleasant Valley is near here to the North of Harpers Ferry, seems odd Henry would be wounded there in 1865, as not much was happening there by 1865. Have you gotten his military records?

Hello

I am emailing from the UK.

My Gr Gr Gr Uncle Henry M Gray (born in the UK in 1831) emigrated to the USA in 1855, aged 24.

In September 1859 he married Orcelia (Celia) Susan Shaw.

Henry M Gray enlisted for the Union Army on 1st January 1865.

He fought with the 3rd Heavy Artillery Regiment, Company F.

I understand he was stationed at some point at Fort Stevens just outside Washington. (Where President Lincoln was shot at)

He was wounded in the knee at Pleasant Valley and he was discharged from the Army on 31st January 1868.

He ultimately died at the Kansas National Veterans Home in Leavenworth on 30th November 1899, aged 68. He was living there from 1894 until the time he died. He dropped dead of heart failure playing cards with is fellow veterans.

He is buried at the Leavenworth National Cemetery.

I have a picture of him sporting some sort of a War Medal taken some time after the war had ended. Would you be able to identify the medal if I sent you the said picture?

Any other detail about my distant relative would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Gordon

Welcome, hope you can share Henry's photo. Here's his pension index card.

henry gray.png

A brief history of Battery F :

United States Regular Army
BATTERY "F" 3rd ARTILLERY.

Attached to Battery "K," Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, October, 1861, to
May, 1862. 5th Brigade, Artillery Reserve, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to
September, 1862. Artillery, 1st Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to
May, 1863. 1st Regular Brigade, Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, to November,
1863. Artillery Brigade, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1864.
(Consolidated with Battery "C" February, 1864.) Artillery Reserve, Army of the
Potomac, to April, 1864. 1st Brigade, Horse Artillery, Army of the Potomac, to
August, 1864. Horse Artillery, Army of the Shenandoah, Middle Military Division,
to December, 1864. Reserve Horse Artillery, Army of the Shenandoah, to April, 1865.
Horse Artillery Brigade, 22nd Army Corps, to August, 1865.

SERVICE.-Duty in the Defences of Washington, D. C., till March, 1862. Ordered to
the Virginia Peninsula. Siege of Yorktown, Va., April 5-May 4. Seven days before
Richmond June 25-July 1. Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
Moved to Alexandria August 16-23. Duty in the Defences of Washington till November.
Movement to Falmouth, Va. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. At Falmouth
till April, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of
Chancellorsville May 1-5. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3. Bristoe Campaign
October 9-22. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Rappahannock Station
November 7. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Rapidan Campaign May 4-
June 12, 1864. Wilderness May 5-7. Spottsylvania May 8-21. Cold Harbor June 1-12.
Siege of Petersburg June 16 to August 5. Deep Bottom July 27-28. Sheridan's
Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Near Winchester August 11. Near
Kearneysville August 25. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. 'Duty in the Shenandoah
Valley till April, 1865, and in the Defenses of Washington till August, 1865.

Frederick A. Dyer "A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" vol. 3

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and drop by the Forum.
Regards
David

Welcome, Gordon...:wavespin: from the heart of Alabama! Looks like you are already finding answers here.

Back