Muzzleldrs Help installing nipple in Bolster

Garandguy

Private
Just a quick question. I have an 1853 Enfield. The Bolster is threaded 5/16 x 18, and so is the nipple I'm installing. The first bit went in easily, then got real snug. The last 1/32 inch of thread remains exposed, and I don't want to put too much pressure on to seat it fearing it may strip. Is this normal? I haven't done this operation before. The hole gauges a little deeper than the threads are long, so it's not bottoming. Both nipple and hole have had the threads chased with a tap and die. Any suggestions appreciated.

I really don't have a clue. I just collect them but don't shoot them.

Update- got it by filing a few thousandths off the threads near the base. Micrometer showed a slight flaring there. Still a tight fit.

Before you fire it from the shoulder, test it in a safe place with live round. Do this several times. Use and old tire and tie the gun and tire down. Use string tied to the trigger (6' or longer so if the nipple does blow out, you're out of the way. See the Dixie Gun Works catalog for full details. I've done this on some repro rifles and the nipple went flying. In all cases the owner meddled with the nipple threads. Not critiquing you, just warning you what CAN happen.

Before you fire it from the shoulder, test it in a safe place with live round. Do this several times. Use and old tire and tie the gun and tire down. Use string tied to the trigger (6' or longer so if the nipple does blow out, you're out of the way. See the Dixie Gun Works catalog for full details. I've done this on some repro rifles and the nipple went flying. In all cases the owner meddled with the nipple threads. Not critiquing you, just warning you what CAN happen.
Absolutely, I'll give it the tire treatment and greatly reduced loads...thanks...

Is your musket an original or a repro? Had problems with a nipple on my repro Enfield at the 150th Gettysburg. I had to get a replacement nipple and went to Lodgewood Mfg. They gave me a nipple for a Euroarms brand ( which mine is ) and it wouldn't screw in. My musket was bought in 1991 so they did some experimentation. Turns out it used an original Enfield nipple, not a repro. I guess back in the 90's Euroarms used original type threads.

Is your musket an original or a repro? Had problems with a nipple on my repro Enfield at the 150th Gettysburg. I had to get a replacement nipple and went to Lodgewood Mfg. They gave me a nipple for a Euroarms brand ( which mine is ) and it wouldn't screw in. My musket was bought in 1991 so they did some experimentation. Turns out it used an original Enfield nipple, not a repro. I guess back in the 90's Euroarms used original type threads.
It's an original. I was able to install the nipple after chasing the threads
Did you use a bottom tap?
Yes...

I believe Parker Hale did as well. I keep a few "original thread" nipples for Enfield and Springfield on hand in case someone has a problem.
FWIW I had an original pocket pistol that had been fitted with an Enfield nipple. I guess the original owners wanted to use musket caps ?

Rather than copy an original P53, the Euroarms was copied from the Parker Hale reproduction, you can even see "P-H" stamped on the bridle of the lock assembly if you look closely. It is not surprising that early production runs would have the English thread size in the bolster.

Back