Help in visiting the Rose Farm

Georgian183

Private
Hey yall, my wife and I will be visiting Gettysburg and Antietam for the first time in late September. My ancestors' regiment, the 50th Georgia, fought in and around the vicinity of the Rose Farm, Stony Hill, and the Wheatfield on July 2nd 1863. I have much source material on how the unit and brigade as a whole deployed, so it shouldn't be a problem locating the sites. I have read that the area around the Rose Farm itself is private property, but have been unable to confirm this. I planned to visit the visitor's center to confirm when we arrive, but figured I'd also ask those of you who have visited the area as well. Is the public allowed to walk the grounds in and around the vicinity of the Rose Farm? I also wish to visit the site of Alexander Gardner's famous pictures of Confederate dead taken in the field southeast of the Rose Farm house; if the public is allowed the visit the area, is this field readily accessible? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

MRB1863

Major
Forum Host
The Rose farm is posted near the corral and house. the orchard across the lane is not. IMHO if you respect a distance from the house, you should be ok. We have been to the site several times. The ruins of the barn are caution net fenced off. Please respect the obvious.
DSCF0717.JPG
DSCF0709.JPG
DSCF0628.JPG
DSCF0627.JPG

Hope you have a great trip!

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Hey yall, my wife and I will be visiting Gettysburg and Antietam for the first time in late September. My ancestors' regiment, the 50th Georgia, fought in and around the vicinity of the Rose Farm, Stony Hill, and the Wheatfield on July 2nd 1863. I have much source material on how the unit and brigade as a whole deployed, so it shouldn't be a problem locating the sites. I have read that the area around the Rose Farm itself is private property, but have been unable to confirm this. I planned to visit the visitor's center to confirm when we arrive, but figured I'd also ask those of you who have visited the area as well. Is the public allowed to walk the grounds in and around the vicinity of the Rose Farm? I also wish to visit the site of Alexander Gardner's famous pictures of Confederate dead taken in the field southeast of the Rose Farm house; if the public is allowed the visit the area, is this field readily accessible? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
You might find my thread on the subject of interest; that too was my primary intention and on the first trip gave up:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/following-alexander-gardner-at-devils-den-graphic.127728/

However, on a subsequent visit I had better luck which you will see if you read the entire thread - or you might skip to the relevant page:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/following-alexander-gardner-at-devils-den-graphic.127728/page-3

1624293814145.png

Last edited:

Georgian183

Private
You might find my thread on the subject of interest; that too was my primary interest and on the first trip gave up:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/following-alexander-gardner-at-devils-den-graphic.127728/

However, on a subsequent visit I had better luck which you will see if you read the entire thread - or you might skip to the relevant page:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/following-alexander-gardner-at-devils-den-graphic.127728/page-3

View attachment 405425
Thank you very much, those threads are exactly what I was looking for (although I had been unable to find them using the search function, go figure!)!

Gettysburg Guide #154

Sergeant
Member of the Month
Sorry not to have responded sooner. I've been a little busy this week, much of the time happily giving tours. In any event, it looks like MRB1863 provided the proper information.