help in identifying this button... solid cast eagle...

Hi everyone,

KIMG0809.JPG
KIMG0810.JPG

I came across this button many years ago and STILL have not been able to identify it. It appears to be an american eagle, with olive branch and arrows, but does not have a shield. It has a crown and wreath back mark, and is solid cast. It also appears to have been made into a hat pin at some point. I have been collecting MANY years and have done a lot with buttons of this era, but I am hoping someone has come across one like this! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I to have been a long time collector, digger, buyer, seller and trader of buttons. I gather you looked in all the books as I just did. I believe it's a company or business button of some sort with the Co. on it. I have 2 other older button books I'll look in when I get home this evening. Plus we have a very knowledgeable group of folks here so they may chime in with an answer.

Welcome to the forum!

What you got there is pretty interesting. It looks like a composite button, which the bottom was the top of another button that was repurposed, likely for a repair. That crown and wreath motif makes it likely 19th century British Empire police, and probably India. The front of the button does look like a US military eagle that has also been altered with the shield been turned into feathers. Almost looks like a bubble there, as an add on over the shield. If the I stands for "India" or "Indian", bit of research on American companies that dealt with India after the Civil War, might discover what the "N" means.

Neither a military nor a fraternal button. Likely civilian uniform button (think Avis red blazers, or private security company etc)...

Thanks for all the welcome wishes!

@ucvrelics- I have checked what books I have, to no avail. I worked in the collection department of a history museum years ago and could not find anything then either. It almost has the dropped wing eagle of a confederate officers button or an alabama button, and the lack of shield and possible british manufacture concurs that as well, but I have never found anything. Thank you for looking, perhaps you may have another resource I do not!

@EjustE- Thanks for the info, but this is a solid cast button. It is not made from two pieces, and i am confident it has not been altered in any way. It is some of the finest casting I have seen of the era, and any alteration would most likely be noticed. I thought this also may be some sort of a diplomatic service button?

Thanks for all of the info, and still hoping that someone out there has seen one like this before!

Hi everyone,

View attachment 161609 View attachment 161610
I came across this button many years ago and STILL have not been able to identify it. It appears to be an american eagle, with olive branch and arrows, but does not have a shield. It has a crown and wreath back mark, and is solid cast. It also appears to have been made into a hat pin at some point. I have been collecting MANY years and have done a lot with buttons of this era, but I am hoping someone has come across one like this! Thanks.
Welcome from Columbus Ohio. Neat piece I hope you find the information you are looking for.

Back