Help Identifying Spencer Carbine

Jsharp67

Cadet
My wife bought me this Spencer at my local gun shop in Horseheads, NY. Can any of you help identify it?

It is serial number 57576. The original manufacturer's markings on the top of the receiver are all worn away except for one clear letter 'S'. There is quite a bit of wear on the stock behind the saddle ring. It has the Stabler cut-off and the action works though the magazine is seized in the stock.

There is a faint cartouche behind the saddle ring that looks like it could be "ESA" (Erskine S. Allin) except the border looks a little more rectangular than oval. It is very faint and hard to make out even with a magnifying glass.

Hope you all can help.

Thanks!

Jeff

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The serial # ranges on the Spencer's can be confusing as they are a hoge poge between models. Some of the 1860's were modified and had Stablers installed. The tell tell is the the barrel length. The 1865 had a 20 inch and the 1860 a 22. What is your barrel length. If a 22 then it is one of the 1860 that was modified.

This one is a bit confusing as the top receiver marks would tell. This is the markings of an 1860 and a 1865. Its very hard to read yours. You might try a rubbing to help read it.
Model 1860
1564954547760.png

Model 1865
1564954639867.png

Here is a close up photo. This was taken with a cell phone. Rather amazing really.

It looks like your top image with 'SPENCER' above the word Rifle. Unlike the lower photo with the word 'PAT' under Spencer. There doesn't seem to be a trace of the 'MODEL 1865' stamp. Maybe an 1860?

Though I have to admit, the 'Burnside Rifle Co.' is pretty cool.

Thanks for the help!

C7D475B4-717D-49EB-B535-1D0E7E1A2F88.JPG

Last edited:
Guitars and rifles, my kind of collector- that's a great looking M1 among your other beauties..

I checked the SRS and it is not listed. I believe its a modified 1860. How many grooves are in the barrel?

Aw bummer. The thing has certainly seen some hard use. It looks like 3 lands and 3 grooves. Does that make sense? It's pretty worn.

Thank you so much for the help!

Guitars and rifles, my kind of collector- that's a great looking M1 among your other beauties..

Thanks. I have two M1s. That one is an International Harvester. My grandfather was a IH dealer so I really wanted one and got it when it came up. I believe the stock is a new CMP one. I also have a Springfield M1 with the original stock. Both were made in the 50s, so not WWII. But you can shoot them which is a lot of fun!

The 1860 had 6 grooves and the 1865 had 3 but your has the top receiver marks of an 1860 so I believe its one of the modified 1860. The orginal six groove rifling was milled, and a sleeve was inserted with three groove rifling. The 22inch barrel was not shortened. This is the confusing part the 20 inch.

Nope that's 6 and it doesn't appear sleved so that means its a model 1860 which had a Stabler installed.

Great! Thank you. Is there any chance it was used in the Civil War if it is not in the SRS?
OH it was used in the CW the SRS just shows some of the guns serial # issued and find one listed is rare but you still have to look. I only have 1 Spencer that is listed and its in worse shape then your but being listed makes it unique.

Please explain - what does it mean "the barrel has been sleeved?" or not?

Welcome from New Hampshire and to the Soldier's Tales Forum, btw! The artillery guys are full of knowledge!

Back