Help Identifying Rifle in Civil War Tintype Photo

What is this Rifle in this tintype

• Total voters
Here is the photo taken in a mirror

IMG_0744.JPG

The musket may well be a photographer's prop, no?
NO!

And DO notice that he's purposely holding it on the "wrong" side (that is, with the lock towards his body) to make it appear for what he knows will be a reversed image that it's on the "right" side.

You can look at the image in a mirror and it will change the direction , but will not flip the rifle over to see the other side.
Agreed (that would take a miracle camera that could show what is hidden), but it does show that he was holding it in his left hand with the rifle lock being on the right side toward his body. As far as my original question goes, is there any consensus on whether it is a 1809 or a prop? Or something else? I put a poll at the top.

There´s a reserve lock plate on the back side of the stock - the Springfield doesn´t have one and instead has washers around the lockplate screws. The image is definitely reversed; there´s an inside pocket on a fatigue blouse on the left side. In the original photo, you wouldn´t be able to access that pocket because the buttons would be buttoned over it.

There´s a reserve lock plate on the back side of the stock - the Springfield doesn´t have one and instead has washers around the lockplate screws. The image is definitely reversed; there´s an inside pocket on a fatigue blouse on the left side. In the original photo, you wouldn´t be able to access that pocket because the buttons would be buttoned over it.
So, what type of rifle do you think it is?

Don't know what it is but it's NOT an 1841 Mississippi. The sloped profile of the stock at the breech is wrong, and the brass plate that the screws hold in place (sorry, don't know the proper name for it) also looks too curvy and thick.

The soldier in this reversed image may have been left-handed, noting finger on trigger. If he was right-handed, he would have been holding this unconfirmed weapon the other way, with the lock plate facing the the camera. This of course is questionable as well. He may have just sat down and did whatever the photographer told him to do and to be quick about it, as there were many more in line behind him waiting to have their picture taken.

The soldier in this reversed image may have been left-handed, noting finger on trigger. If he was right-handed, he would have been holding this unconfirmed weapon the other way, with the lock plate facing the the camera. This of course is questionable as well. He may have just sat down and did whatever the photographer told him to do and to be quick about it, as there were many more in line behind him waiting to have their picture taken.
I agree that he is probably holding it with his dominant left hand which would be the natural thing to do if you were a lefty.

Welcome, enjoy. Lock plate is on left side
With due respect sir, if this is a tintype, the photo will be reversed as evident by the cartridge box and cap pouch. My guess is the soldier is holding the musket at the small of the stock in his left hand.

NO!

And DO notice that he's purposely holding it on the "wrong" side (that is, with the lock towards his body) to make it appear for what he knows will be a reversed image that it's on the "right" side.
How can you be so sure its not a prop? I'm not quite sure what you mean but if the lock is towards his body, a reverse image is not going to change that and somehow show the lock.

With due respect sir, if this is a tintype, the photo will be reversed as evident by the cartridge box and cap pouch. My guess is the soldier is holding the musket at the small of the stock in his left hand.
Sorry, but a reverse photo doesn't flip the rifle on it's axis. There is no way it would rotate the musket to have the lock plate facing his body. You are correct that it moves left to right and right to left, but it doesn't have the man reversed so all we see his back.

Back