Help Identifying Rifle in Civil War Tintype Photo

What is this Rifle in this tintype

• Total voters
"By 1863 we can be pretty certain that this guy would have gotten a new rifle-musket if he was still in Federal service."
So by inference, this is likely an 1861 or 1862 photo?
I would guess that this is an early war photograph, the cap pouch is a shield front pouch, the cartridge box appears to be a .69 cal and the forage cap appears to be a type 1 (small disk), all of which point to early war supply.

It's an 1809 Potsdam. I would post a picture but my computer is so old I have to use an old phone to take a picture and transfer it and my old phone needs charging. The side plate that the two lock bolts fit through is brass as is the trigger guard and barrel bands. The butt plate is iron. There is a section of the butt stock scooped out on the left side from the comb down and back towards but butt plate. The rear site is supposed to be enough to clinch the identity but on the one I was going to photograph it's missing it's rear site. A coffee table book I have on Civil War weapons indicates that these were purchased only by the North and any in Confederate service would have been captured or battlefield pickups. Apparently they functioned as well as the various Springfields except that they had a tendency to foul with gun powder residue. The one I was going to photograph is a smooth bore and the barrel has been shortened so that it will no longer hold a bayonet. Its bayonet was a socket bayonet with a diagonal slot wrapping around the socket. I believe this is unique enough to identify the bayonet. The one I was going to photograph is also missing the attachments that held the carrying strap. I do not know if this firearm was used in the American Civil War or found its way to America later. I'll try to add pictures after my old phone charges.

Here are some photos, I think. I've never posted photos before; in fact my last post was my first post. We'll see what happens.

left side lock.jpg

left butt.jpg

butt plate.jpg

muzzle.jpg

lock.jpg

How can you be so sure its not a prop? I'm not quite sure what you mean but if the lock is towards his body, a reverse image is not going to change that and somehow show the lock.
Very simple - it's a perfectly useable contemporary weapon photographed at a time when both sides were scrambling for serviceable arms of any kind. It may have been imported, converted to percussion, of a non-standard caliber, or somehow otherwise undesirable - but that early in the war the old expression any lock, stock, and barrel still applied!

Very simple - it's a perfectly useable contemporary weapon photographed at a time when both sides were scrambling for serviceable arms of any kind. It may have been imported, converted to percussion, of a non-standard caliber, or somehow otherwise undesirable - but that early in the war the old expression any lock, stock, and barrel still applied!
Not only that, he has a .69 cal cartridge box, which lends credence to this being his long arm.

Did someone on this thread previously mention an Illinois unit that used these rifles, the Prussian model 1809 model here? Thought I saw something related to that but can't seem to find it here. Reason I'm curious is there are two names carved on mine and I thought it worth my time to search the regimental or company rosters of the unit, if indeed I read correctly. Thanks much.

Hello, Newbie here and would like to get your opinion on the rifle in this photo. I hope the resolution is good enough, because it is about as good as I can make it. My amature guess is that it is some model of a Springfield? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 378534

View attachment 378535
I think you got your questions answered on the rifle specs, the Prussian Model 1809 Potsdam. Did you identify the unit of the soldier in the photograph? I thought someone mentioned it was an Illinois unit, but cannot seem to find the thread. There are two names carved on my 1809 and I'd like to check the regimental history rosters. Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand on which units in the Western Army used these rifles.

I think you got your questions answered on the rifle specs, the Prussian Model 1809 Potsdam. Did you identify the unit of the soldier in the photograph? I thought someone mentioned it was an Illinois unit, but cannot seem to find the thread. There are two names carved on my 1809 and I'd like to check the regimental history rosters. Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand on which units in the Western Army used these rifles.
Yes I agree I certainly did get answered on the type of musket the soldier is holding but I have no other information about him personally... wish I did because the photo has an honored place on my wall and it would be nice to know anything about him!

What are the names? I might be able to help

What are the names? I might be able to help
Thanks! One name is clearly carved on the stock: J.C. Proctor. Next to it our the initials HW. And on the other side is a name or marking written in cursive which I have more difficulty deciphering. I wonder if that name (or whatever it says) was written much later by someone when it passed on to a new owner. I'm attaching two photos. Any help or clues will be much appreciated. No doubt the previous owners have marvelous stories waiting to be discovered. Thanks again.

Prussian 1809 Rifle with name (6) .jpg

Prussian 1809 Rifle with names (5) .jpg

It's an 1809 Potsdam. I would post a picture but my computer is so old I have to use an old phone to take a picture and transfer it and my old phone needs charging. The side plate that the two lock bolts fit through is brass as is the trigger guard and barrel bands. The butt plate is iron. There is a section of the butt stock scooped out on the left side from the comb down and back towards but butt plate. The rear site is supposed to be enough to clinch the identity but on the one I was going to photograph it's missing it's rear site. A coffee table book I have on Civil War weapons indicates that these were purchased only by the North and any in Confederate service would have been captured or battlefield pickups. Apparently they functioned as well as the various Springfields except that they had a tendency to foul with gun powder residue. The one I was going to photograph is a smooth bore and the barrel has been shortened so that it will no longer hold a bayonet. Its bayonet was a socket bayonet with a diagonal slot wrapping around the socket. I believe this is unique enough to identify the bayonet. The one I was going to photograph is also missing the attachments that held the carrying strap. I do not know if this firearm was used in the American Civil War or found its way to America later. I'll try to add pictures after my old phone charges.
I have to update my post with a correction; the bayonet I described as having a diagonal slot running across the socket was for the model 1854 Lorenz rifle musket. Apparently the diagonal slot appears on other Austrian bayonets and is not unique to the Lorenz rifle musket. The bayonet for the Potsdam musket doesn’t have a slot at all.

In reference to J. C. Proctor:

Looking on Ancestry.com:

There was a J. Proctor who enlisted in Michigan and was a member of company A, 12 V R Vols who died in a regimental hospital on 8 Jan 1865.

There were some J.C. Proctor confederate cavalry privates from Georgia.

There was an enlisted infantry private from Georgia named James C. Proctor.

There was an enlisted infantry private from Portsmouth, VA, named James C. Proctor.

There was an enlisted infantry private from Mississippi named Joseph C. Proctor.

There were draft records for:

Name DOB Residence

John C Proctor 1840 Maryland

Johnson C Proctor 1825 Missouri

John C Proctor 1833 District of Columbia

Jos C Proctor 1834 Wisconsin

John C Proctor 1826 Indiana

John C Proctor 1823 Illinois

Back