Help identifying ribbons and pins , I'm pretty sure one is the GAR pin

Ljacobi

Cadet
Could use your help identifying the ribbons, pins, medals that are on the photo I have attached. It is my g-g grandfthaer who served in the 52 regiment of the New York Volunteers from 1861 to 1863. I presume they are something to do with the GAR, I'm wondering if he is wearing anGAR uniform, didnthey have them?
IMG_2888.JPG

He was very high up on the GAR food chain. The ribbon on the left is a GAR medal with rank insignia (can't make it out) and I will need a better and closer photo to make out the one on the right. The buttons appear to be GAR as well.
1554747174126.png

1554747211159.png

Could you provide his name and where he lived after the war ? Quite often G.A.R. functions were covered in the newspapers and officers named so, if we had his name and where he lived, we could do some searches of newspapers of his era and see if he's noted.

Could you provide his name and where he lived after the war ? Quite often G.A.R. functions were covered in the newspapers and officers named so, if we had his name and where he lived, we could do some searches of newspapers of his era and see if he's noted.
Thanks for your help, Louis Jacobi, Philadelphia PA

He appears in the ranks of the 52nd NY as 'Louis Jacoby'. I assume this is the same man.

If it is according to the official NY records he was 31 and living in New York City when he enlisted for 3 years on the 10th October 1861 in to 'The Sigel Rifles'. They are a very German dominated regiment and he joined as a Sergeant in Company H. However at some point he was reduced to the ranks (busted down to Private) and eventually mustered out on the 28th April 1863. Reason not given but this is before his term of enlistment is up...

About all else I can say is that at some point he transfers from Company H to Company I.

That's the best I can do I am afraid. Others may be able to add more information.

Can't find any info on why he was discharged earlier than 3 years. Usually soldiers were discharged after their enlistment was up or for issues relating to wounds or illnesses, or occasionally for disciplinary reasons (which might be why he was reduced in ranks).

I did some newspaper searching and didn't find anything for a Louis Jacobi/Jacoby relating to the G.A.R. in Philadelphia. Note that the national encampment was held in Philadelphia in 1899 so I'd think if he was a major player he'd have been mentioned. I did find that there was a Louis Jacoby who was Major of Lodge 133 of the Knights of Pythias. I can't really make out the medal to the farthest right but maybe it's a K. of P. ?

Sorry I couldn't solve the mystery.

Could use your help identifying the ribbons, pins, medals that are on the photo I have attached. It is my g-g grandfthaer who served in the 52 regiment of the New York Volunteers from 1861 to 1863. I presume they are something to do with the GAR, I'm wondering if he is wearing anGAR uniform, didnthey have them?View attachment 301593

All I can say it that is a helluva moustache!

Back